No announcement yet.

E30-LS1 KITS now available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't see this but how much is the total swap costing? How much would you expect someone to spend from junkyard engine, rebuilding, and then adding what it needs and then your kit? I'm very curious about this swap but I've heard it'll run upwards of 10k!!!!
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
      Didn't see this but how much is the total swap costing? How much would you expect someone to spend from junkyard engine, rebuilding, and then adding what it needs and then your kit? I'm very curious about this swap but I've heard it'll run upwards of 10k!!!!
      Do searches on eBay for engine prices. Look specifically for the aluminum-block engines (LS1, LS3, etc) and T56 trannys. We got ours in 2006 from LKQ in Portland OR. 50K miles on each one; $4000 shipped to Seattle.

We spent another $4000 on developing the swap -- we needed lots of tools (engine hoist, MIG welder, chop saw, hand tools, etc) and we bought all-new lowered suspension, all-new brakes & hubs, all-new steering rack & control arms, driveshaft mods, misc swap parts, A/C lines, new condenser & evaporator, power steering lines, HydroBoost, & "stuff".

If you spend the same for your engine & tranny, and do all of the work yourself, you'll spend about 2500 more for our kit & needed stuff. This assumes no other suspension & brake mods, etc.

You might of heard "10k!!!" from people who are just guessing. Only a few E30-LSx swaps in existence anywhere -- be the first in your local 250,000 square miles to have one!
      Last edited by garretvs; 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM.
      E30-LS1 aka. 357is
      email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
      E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
      E30LS1@gmail.com
      e30ls1.com

Comment

So about 5-6k. Is your kit interchangeable with the 350sbc

Comment

Ls1/t56 are around 4.5-5k now so your looking at 8-9k for a proper swap.

-Alex
          sigpic

Comment

I'm finding some as low as 3-4k.

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
              I'm finding some as low as 3-4k.
              plus everything you need
              Originally posted by Lof8
              Seriously. Every black wheel, regardless of spoke design, looks the same from more than 3 feet away.

Comment

no but it seems the majority of the finances in this swap come from the tranny and engine. On craigslist I'm finding some motors+tranny for 16-1900. That with the kit, plus ad on say...1500 extra for other parts needed? Looking at about 4600-5k? Idk I'm just guessing though.

Comment

Does the LS ECU hook up to the gauge cluster perfectly or are the revs off a little? My tach and water gauges stopped working so I was wondering if I should fix that first before swapping or if it is pointless and I should get a separate tach and gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Zesty Bonanza View Post
                    Does the LS ECU hook up to the gauge cluster perfectly or are the revs off a little? My tach and water gauges stopped working so I was wondering if I should fix that first before swapping or if it is pointless and I should get a separate tach and gauges.
                    The GM PCM (ECU to BMW guys) is easily re-programmed to provide a tach signal to the cluster. The only things that do not work are the SI lights (just fluff anyway) and the mpg-related displays that the old ECU controlled.

The temp guage, oil pressure & coolant temps work, as does the cruise control and A/C. You have an OBD2 socket and a MIL light that work -- necessary for dyno work (if you want to; not really necessary) after the swap.......
                    E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                    E30LS1@gmail.com
                    e30ls1.com

Comment

I read through the thread and it sounds interesting.

Have you ever given thought to building one and selling the basic assembly done? That way, the new owner could handle the body, paint, interior, etc. himself.

I would love one of these, but I don't have the mechanical skills to do it. However, I would be interested in buying one done, or close to done.

Comment

If the LS1 engine was modified to have a dry sump would the engine still fit into the bay (and not be too low)? If I was to use an accusump instead of a dry sump, would it still fit?

Comment

If the LS1 engine was modified to have a dry sump would the engine still fit into the bay (and not be too low)? If I was to use an accusump instead of a dry sump, would it still fit?
                          I don't think you know what you are asking.
                          But yes the engine would fit with either.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

The engine would be in about the same position -- but you'd have a heck of a time finding room for the oil tank.

The reason that the engine position doesn't change is that the engine/transmission angle has to be a certain value, plus/minus 1degree, relative to the driveshaft. The fwd and aft u-joint angles must match. If they don't, the rear end tries to eat the tranny & driveshaft.

For the detailed explanation, search a u-joint manufacturer's website (Dana, etc)
                            E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                            E30LS1@gmail.com
                            e30ls1.com

Comment

just a point of ref. a buddy of mine just dynod his ls1/t56 (99 camaro) swapped fc and with a tune, intake, headers and a 3" back. he put down 322/336.

also you claim that i can say im the only person with in 250,000 square miles but if i remember right your in lynnhood which means i'd be the only person within 25 square miles.

Comment

Whats the chances of being able to fit a turbo in the bay with one of these kits?

Comment

Working...
                                X