Alternative to Wilwood BP-20 pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rpob5t View Post
    be careful with the wilwood pads you order from race shopper; they tried to tell me the 7812 pad shape doesn't exist (and actually argued with me over it) in hawk compounds and tired to sell me the 7816; same shape, just a 16mm thick pad (vs 12mm for the 7812)
    strange, I just ordered some HT10s in 7812 from these guys. They seemed to have no issue with it.

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
    To be honest, I don't think that Hawk makes a 12mm pad...The next set of pads will likely be Wilwoods that fit.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/Bra...temno=120-9703
    Well shit, I'm glad I called them back to check. Upon further questioning, they indeed claim there are no Hawk 12mm. I had to cancel the order.
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

OK, Another update here. RaceShopper called back to let me know that they can "custom order" the Hawk pads to be machined to 12mm from the factory. Lets hope they don't screw me with some 16mm pads.
      S50'd

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
        OK, Another update here. RaceShopper called back to let me know that they can "custom order" the Hawk pads to be machined to 12mm from the factory. Lets hope they don't screw me with some 16mm pads.
        Keep us posted! I'd love to be able to order hawk's that are made to fit.
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

just get some "H" compound and call it a day.

Comment

Is the BP-20 really an appropriate pad for a street car? Wilwood's site say's "track only." And I got to be honest, I'm not 100% happy with it. After about a years worth of street only use, the car hums very loudly when breaking from high speed on the highway. Breaking at high speed also causes my steering column to shake pretty badly. I figure my rotors are warped at this point, but I dont see that as a norm since I havent even changed out my first set of pads.

Just from the Wilwood site, the E compounds seem like the way to go. Any input?

Edit:

Even though Compound A is "race only" as well, wouldnt the higher friction at colder temps be a good thing for a high performance daily? I mean when do you really get those pads good and hot on a 60 sec stint on a back road?
            Last edited by bimma360; 03-16-2011, 10:04 PM.
            E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Porterfield makes them in a R4s compound that is a great street pad. Minimal dust, almost no rotor wear, work great from cold too. They are similar to he BP-20 pads.
              seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                Is the BP-20 really an appropriate pad for a street car? Wilwood's site say's "track only." And I got to be honest, I'm not 100% happy with it. After about a years worth of street only use, the car hums very loudly when breaking from high speed on the highway. Breaking at high speed also causes my steering column to shake pretty badly. I figure my rotors are warped at this point, but I dont see that as a norm since I havent even changed out my first set of pads.

Just from the Wilwood site, the E compounds seem like the way to go. Any input?

Edit:

Even though Compound A is "race only" as well, wouldnt the higher friction at colder temps be a good thing for a high performance daily? I mean when do you really get those pads good and hot on a 60 sec stint on a back road?

I've had mine for two summers now with 3 track days without any issues, the pads have to changed as soon as the car comes out because there isn't to much life left. I never had any problems with warped rotors or vibrations under heavy braking, I would recommend for street driving. I never tried any other compound so I do not have any input yet, however I am definitely buying the H compounds for my first track day and I will post up my experience with them

G.Verelli

Comment

Originally posted by gverelli View Post
                  I've had mine for two summers now with 3 track days without any issues, the pads have to changed as soon as the car comes out because there isn't to much life left. I never had any problems with warped rotors or vibrations under heavy braking, I would recommend for street driving. I never tried any other compound so I do not have any input yet, however I am definitely buying the H compounds for my first track day and I will post up my experience with them
                  Could it be that I just don't drive aggressively enough on them though? It is what it is... I'll be replacing the rotors and pads out soon. I was just wondering.
                  E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Ahh I cant really say Im not an expert on brakes. I just dont know how they can warp especially with "mild-er" pads such as the bp20s. If you have trouble getting them up to temp i highly doubt they warped from excessive heat. Better off waiting until somone with real experience can give helpful advice, your guess is probably as good as mine

G.Verelli

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                      Porterfield makes them in a R4s compound that is a great street pad. Minimal dust, almost no rotor wear, work great from cold too. They are similar to he BP-20 pads.
                      How about noise? Are they relatively quiet?

Originally posted by gverelli View Post
                      Ahh I cant really say Im not an expert on brakes. I just dont know how they can warp especially with "mild-er" pads such as the bp20s. If you have trouble getting them up to temp i highly doubt they warped from excessive heat. Better off waiting until somone with real experience can give helpful advice, your guess is probably as good as mine
                      I experienced "warped" like symptoms from my track day but I think it had more to do with the slotted rotor than anything. It was shaving material off of the pad and cooking onto the rotor where the slots were...hence creating the shaky feeling when braking hard on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                        How about noise? Are they relatively quiet?

I experienced "warped" like symptoms from my track day but I think it had more to do with the slotted rotor than anything. It was shaving material off of the pad and cooking onto the rotor where the slots were...hence creating the shaky feeling when braking hard on the track.
                        Yeah I think I'm going to try normal rotors this time around.
                        E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

It seems these pads do exist. 12mm total measured thickness. Race shopper informed me that before they even "special ordered" the 12mm pads through Hawk, the 12mms showed up at their shop-correct part number, thickness, and all.

I hope they continue to be easily available for others.
                          S50'd

Comment

Holy shit. That's sweet. Going to deal with them next time I want to order pads!

Just going to type the P/N here in case the hosting for the image ever goes down.

HB542S.480

Comment

I just checked the part# in Hawkpadsdirect. com, and nothing came up. They must really be special order eh? I will check out the site.

G.Verelli

Comment

I absolutely loved the HT-10s. Very consistent bite all day long. I flushed the system with motul 600 as well and my brakes were amazing all day.

They were a little squeaky and lackluster on the ride home, but great under track conditions.
                                S50'd

Comment

Working...
                                X