Used track/autox tires source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used track/autox tires source?

So I'm a broke college student, and in the long run I think I'll be better off having street tires, track tires, and snow tires rather than running really sticky rubber on the street, as I do a lot of highway driving.

My current track wheels are 15x7, which would allow me to run all that old rubber from the civic guys, which I know is out there somewhere... So what are your thoughts on used performance tires for a weekend warrior like myself? Any sources online I should look up?

Project M42 Turbo

Head to the track for big race weekends. NASA events, hit up the SpecE30 guys or the Spec Miata guys. SCCA events, hit up the Spec Miata guys. Both cars run 15x7 Toyo RA-1s. Great track-day tire.

Actually, with Spec Miata in SCCA going from Toyo RA-1 to R888 and back to RA-1, there are some slightly or never used R888 out there for relatively little money - these are usually the rain tires the guys mounted but didn't use, or used a few times with minimal wear.

Specmiataclassifieds.com
    Mazdaracer.com
    miata.net

I also have a set of RA-1 tires Iused as rains with about 50-60% tread left that I wouldn't mind replacing. 3 years old. PM me if you'd be interested.
    Ben
    Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
    April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
    May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
    October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
    October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
    Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

try philstires in NY he has all kinds of good track tires used and slightly used...hes the tire guy for NASA MA
      NASA
      BMWCCA member
      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
      1997 M3 sedan
      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Local (to me) RA-1s for sale here:

http://www.waterfordhills.com/phpBB3...php?f=8&t=3294
        Ben
        Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
        April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
        May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
        October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
        October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
        Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

I've bought a lot of used RA-1's on ebay over the years. But this only works because I get them mounted for free and use a durometer so I can judge the tires against each other. In the absence of free mounting and a way to accurately judge how hard the tires have become, used tires would be an iffy proposition.
          www.Gress.org

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. -E. Burke

NASA SpecE30 #6, BMWCCA #161
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RangerGress View Post
            I've bought a lot of used RA-1's on ebay over the years. But this only works because I get them mounted for free and use a durometer so I can judge the tires against each other. In the absence of free mounting and a way to accurately judge how hard the tires have become, used tires would be an iffy proposition.
            ...jus wondering....

do durometer readings have a direct correlation to a tire being CYCLED OUT?.....or does it just reveal hardness? Im wondering if a cylced out tire that is relatively young, still have acceptable duro. readings?....

What does hardness by itself reveal?...

and what are acceptable readings?....

grazi!
            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

There's a guy on Ebay who sells used race tires. USDRRT or something like that. I have bought a few sets from him and they were well described and fairly priced.

Comment

thanks for all the infor! Nigelstu, ygpm.

I can get the tires mounted for free, and the car isn't really a track car. Just for autox and HPDEs, so having the ultimate in tires isn't quite as vital. I just don't want to destroy my street tires if I can help it.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

i just got a set of R888's on ebay, pretty decent for $200...
                  -Alex

Comment

Theres a guy at the local autocross that buys all his tires used for his car. He told me the website but i can't seem to remember it. If I get the chance to ask him I'll post it up here.
                    Wrecking cars, closing bars.

Tie rod spacers for sale: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=245785

Comment

Check around your local SCCA club, someone will usually have a used set of tires lying around.

On the broke college student front, racing can be fucking expensive. You will eventually figure out how to race on the cheap. For example, one of my rally contacts ran 6 rallies for a grand total of $2.5k. Most teams spend that at each event.

Comment

Yeah, once the season starts up I'll probably ask around. And I know it's expensive....even the Lemons car a few friends and I are putting together isn't super cheap. Luckily my dad does a lot of HPDE's with me, so I can usually finagle out some funding under the father-son activity front haha.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                        X