Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 One Lap of America!

One Lap time!

Its finally here! Today is the day I head down to South Bend IN for the start of this years Brock Yates' One Lap of America! A week of driving around the country and running time trials at some of the coolest tracks in the US!

While I wont be in an E30, I will be in a BMW. 3rd year running a 2008 BMW M3 sedan. Hoping to improve on our 9th place overall and 1st in class finish last year, the car owner/do-driver (my pops), had Active Autowerk install one of their new Supercharger kits (I posted a video of the dyno run a while back). With the most recent tune and pulley, the car has right about 600 hp at the crank. Nice little increase from the 414 stock! The goal is to defend our class championship and move up the ranks in overall (going to be tough this year with some of the new cars that are showing up - modified GT-R, Porsche GT3s, modded Corvettes, a few Viper ACRs, and other interesting rides)

for anyone who doesn't know the format, we load up the car with our gear and drive from track to track. At each track, we unload, make a few adjustments and run a pair of 3 timed hot-laps. Fastest overall time for each session gets the most points. After the second session at a track, we load up and head to the next track (up to 690 miles away). No trailering between events, no support vehicles. Pretty awesome endurance/sprint event. And the best part is, I get to run it in a sweet BMW with my Dad - nice little guys week!

Spectators are allowed at the tracks and I'd love to see some E30's out there. So, if anyone is near any of the following tracks on the listed days, come on out, meet the team and watch some ridiculously fast/cool cars fly around the tracks.

2011 OLOA Schedule:
    • Saturday, April 30 - Skid pad at The Tire Rack, IN, Autocross at Grissom Air force base
    • Sunday, May 1 - Time Trials at Summit Point, WV
    • Monday, May 2 - Time Trials at Carolina Motosports Park and BMW Perf Center, SC
    • Tuesday, May 3 - Time Trials at Daytona, FL and Drag race at Gainsville, FL
    • Wednesday, May 4 - Time Trials at Circuit Grand Bayou, LS
    • Thursday, May 6 - Time Trials at Barber Motorsports Park, AL
    • Friday, May 7 - Time Trials at Autobahn, IL
    • Saturday, May 8 - Skid pad at The Tire Rack, IN

I also keep a blog going with results, stories and pics from the week. If you can't make it to the track, check out the blog to follow along.

We are running data acquisition this year, so for a fun little competition, guess the top speed we hit at Daytona road course! Winner is whoever is closest. I'll figure out some sort of cool prize.

Links:
    One Lap of America website
    Schaut Speed Racing Blog

On to glory and awesomeness!
    Ben
    Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
    April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
    May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
    October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
    October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
    Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

My friend Mike is co-driving the Otto's M3.. Enjoy!

Comment

Sounds ike fun minus the lack of sleep.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

One of the coolest events out there! So do you bring an extra set of tires with you or is there no room/need for that?

Daytona speed? I figure you guys can hit 200mph in that M3 :)
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

186MPH is my guess. Upload some pics of this M3.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
          hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
          And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

I'll be at the Barber Track. Hope to meet you guys! Good luck!!!
            Mark K
            1989 BMW 325i
            SCCA SEDIV TT Street Mod Champion 2011

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Here's a little teaser shot of the M3 courtesy of the guys at Active Autowerke.

(can anyone see this pic? its not showing up on my computer but the img tags are there....)

I took a few more shots today with all the decals on the car and will post those up in the blog once we hit the road tomorrow. Along with some of the competition.

Pheonix - Mike is a great guy, and I'm glad that I had the chance to meet both him and his late father. Stand-up people and one of the reasons why this event is so cool! I'll tell Mike hi for you.

Team9 -see you there! And if you have any pointers for Barber, let me know... It'll be my first time ever at that track. I'm excited!

Dude - we get 1 spare tire. per the rules. And we wouldn't have room for more anyway. 3 people plus tools and a few bottles of methanol (oh yeah... the car has methanol injection too....) means minimal extra space. All part of the fun...

Joshh - sleep is for the weak! er, wait... maybe its sleep is for the week(s following the One Lap)... If things go like they did last year, we will get plenty. And the fun factor more than makes up for the lack of sleep!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NigelStu; 04-29-2011, 06:33 PM.
                Ben

Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Comment

Picture didn't work!

Comment

Bloody hell....

Just go to the blog. more pics will be there than I'll post here anyway. plus pics from last year.
                    Ben

Comment

Now it worked.

Comment

Good luck!!!!!

My friends Anthony and Kevin had the top finishing BMW last year in the DTR ITB turbo M52 powered e30. (4th overall and first in SSGT2 SB). And wow, what an endurance test that was! http://www.onelapofamerica.com/image...0-05SR0090.jpg

It'd be nice to see another force fed silver BMW do that well!!!!!
                        Current Cars
                        2014 M235i
                        2009 R56 Cooper S
                        1998 M3
                        1997 M3

Comment

This is such a cool event! I've been wanting to do it for years, maybe next year my "Street car" will be finished enough to do it.

Anyway, good luck to you guys! Stay safe and stay AWAKE!

Comment

good luck and say hi to dave flogaus in the otto's bmw m3.
                            '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                            '91 SpecE30 #523
                            '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

weeeeeee! 600 HP is FUN!

Ok, so after a slow start, we are starting to gain some ground. We are up to 1st in class and 13th overall. Daytona is tomorrow and the extra speed we might just have will hopefully bump us up a bit more.

Had some interesting adventures last few days. A few comments:
                                • Summit Point is an awesome track
                                • CMP is slippery when it gets warm and your tire pressures are too high, but at least the dirt/grass is easy to drive through and nice and smooth....
                                • having internet during transit stages is sweet.
                                • Southern weather is way better than Detroit (yay, shorts!)
                                • Southern girls have accents that please me
                                • But whatever county in SC we stayed in last night sucks for being dry (we got in at 8. but no beer... :( )
                                • Never show up to an event like this with a newer car because its 'more reliable than the old modified one'. Otherwise you're car may just catch on fire... (not ours, #26 Evo had an engine fire...)
                                • M3's need brake ducting for stuff like this (that would be us - front brakes melted off the wheel weight tape...)
                                • Always remember to set your parking brake (Ask flogaus about that one...)
                                • Go-karts are the shit
                                • A supercharged M3 sounds sexy as hell!

more later. I need sleep so I can take over in an hour or so to finish our LONG drive into Daytona tonight
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X