Bullet proof rear?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet proof rear?!?

hey guys i have a ls1 swap coming to almost turning it over and i am worried about the rear it is a 84 318i so the small diff.but is there a rear set up that is out there that is bullet proof to like high high hp and tq i am planning on it having around 750 rwhp and quarter mile tracking it so let me know its ok if its a custom install just wanted to know what some track guys running low numbers are going with. thanks

4-LINK

if drag is your bag baby.

Others are running Medium case diffs on the M-coupe rear end (bigger axles & CV's) with some success.

I myself have a E28 rear end in my E30, and has been bomb proof thus far, but I don't go out in drag, as it's a circuit car.
    Last edited by E30-323ti; 08-08-2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: might as well mini-tub it at the same time, then drag radials will be an easy fit.
    292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Thanks so is there a company or anyone that can rebuild a 373 LSD to make it handle the power and launch on slicks? If not I think I'll do a e36 reAr cover for better cooling and Biggers axles and cv's and some major reinforcements so I can hopefully see a 8 sec pass withought loosing my life

Comment

Try these guys out.

Originally posted by cabriodster87
        "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
        Originally posted by Kershaw
        i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I've got a euro big diff out of an m535i, 3.46 slip, if you are interested pm me.
          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

you want bulletproof? do this....

Comment

I set up a couple medium case 188mm Diffs for a local drag car, car has done this year on diff number one; around 20+ 1/4 mile passes in the 9's.

diff # 1 is still holding. Number 2 is spare for events and has not been ran yet.

Car was considering going to the ces 210mm subframe and big case setup but is on hold for now, these units are more stout than people make them out to be.

This is in a 4 digits to the ground street weight e36m, running dss driveline and rogue rear cover.

you will probably need to convert to a dual eared diff (and an aftermarket mounting plate past 500rwhp).

Obviously a random sloppy 1xx,xxx mile unit will be a different story under high power high load.
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

8.8" IRS from Ford Mustang Cobra is pretty nice. Inexpensive. Lighter than stock BMW e36 Medium case diffs. All sorts of readily available inexpensive upgrade options. Custom axles required, but not overly expensive (made from stock BMW axles mated with stock Mustang axles) and custom drive shaft setup (also relatively inexpensive). Will handle significant power.
                sigpic
                Mike Akard #03 CM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
                S50B32 & E30 Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies ALWAYS FOR SALE!
                VADER CM V8 Coming in 2011!!!

Comment

Bullet proof rear?!?

My wife's ass!!
                  NASA
                  BMWCCA member
                  PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                  1997 M3 sedan
                  2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by WheelE30 View Post
                    hey guys i have a ls1 swap coming to almost turning it over and i am worried about the rear it is a 84 318i so the small diff.but is there a rear set up that is out there that is bullet proof to like high high hp and tq i am planning on it having around 750 rwhp and quarter mile tracking it so let me know its ok if its a custom install just wanted to know what some track guys running low numbers are going with. thanks
                    tom?
                    '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
                    '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
                    '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
                    '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

I have about 60 passes on my MZ3 set up the car makes 600+. I can tell you from experience that your current setup will break right away. My current setup is forsale if your interested Email me Marruda83@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by makard View Post
                        8.8" IRS from Ford Mustang Cobra is pretty nice. Inexpensive. Lighter than stock BMW e36 Medium case diffs. All sorts of readily available inexpensive upgrade options. Custom axles required, but not overly expensive (made from stock BMW axles mated with stock Mustang axles) and custom drive shaft setup (also relatively inexpensive). Will handle significant power.
                        This sounds interesting. Are you talking about just swapping the diff or going with the whole rear subframe?

Comment

Working...
                        X