Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cage This cages work! Rally New York roll-over…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cage This cages work! Rally New York roll-over…

So there's one less E30 in the world...

When Cage This owner Bill Doyle and I left for International Rally New York early Friday morning, I had no idea that on Saturday, my world would be turned upside down again and again… and again… and again.

Since my car is still broken from NEFR, Bill asked me to sit in the silly seat for IRNY 2011. His regular navigator couldn’t make it. I said yes, despite the fact that I am directionally challenged. No matter, he said, you’ll pick it up along the way.

I thought the worst of our problems involved a pesky exhaust that kept falling off. We lost the exhaust after a few recce passes and throughout the next day and a half, random people kept bringing the exhaust back to us with the same line: “Is this yours?”

Yup, it was ours.

Then we had a windshield wiper issue on my side, which was rectified easily enough. Ironically, that part would be one of the few parts that survived the weekend.

On Stage 8, the shortest one, we came over the opening crest, screamed down the hill and got hung up in a ditch on the left, which looked like it terminated with some overgrown grass. Well, grass there was, but it was also covering a pile of rocks.

We hit those rocks at 70 mph.

That launched the car airborne, leaning toward my side, but then the tire, turned full right attempting to free the car from the ditch, caught the road and sent us flipping once end over end, then barrel-rolling three times. Each time we hit, I yelled my favorite expletive.

When we finally landed, upright thankfully, I asked Bill if he was OK. As soon as he confirmed, I smelled a huge rush of high-octane gasoline and saw smoke. Bill killed the fuel pump, which was pumping fresh, raw gas into the engine bay because, we later found out, the fuel pressure regulator had been sheared off. “Get out! Get out! Get out!” I yelled. We scrambled out our doors, which both had become stuck shut in the impacts. They popped open after some spirited persuasion and we managed to get out safely.

Bill also stopped the next rig, the Nissan truck. Along with sweep, they helped us pick up the debris field and move the car out of the way so they could continue. Among the debris, I found all four auxiliary lights lying together crunched, face-down, side by side, as if they were set there intentionally. I also found the fuel pressure regulator gauge, among a sea of other bits and pieces of Bill’s BMW.

The roll cage didn’t move a single inch. No breaks, no bends, no cracks, no scratches.

I have a Cage This cage in my own rally BMW. And now I know for sure what it can take.

Thanks again to the Nissan guys and Gary and the sweep crew, who helped us clean up and gave us a ride back to service.

This truly will be an International Rally New York I will never forget.

Kris Gove
    Slapdash Racing

More pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6904507...in/photostream
    www.slapdashracing.com

Impressive, glad everyone is alive and well. Seems to be a great piece of info for any potential buyers.

Comment

Damn, Son.
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Yes Sir, shaken, not stirred...
        www.slapdashracing.com

Comment

Proper r3v! :up:

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

its amazing what a well built cage can withstand

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

Originally posted by lostbeachbum View Post
              its amazing what a well built cage can withstand
              ^^ or car..

Did it even touch the cage :p i'm kidding, glad you're okay. But the e30 is also a tank, from personal experience. On the left is my previous chassis when tackled by an 18wheeler. SOLID!

i'd love to see interior pics of the cage and how it supported all the bending metal and impact forces. Floor. Good stuff man. Be more careful, keep on racing ; |
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

It did it's job
                NASA
                BMWCCA member
                PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                1997 M3 sedan
                2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Damn you guys were lucky

Comment

The cage looks as though we could cut it out and put it in a new car.

Definitely did its job.

I'll be getting interior shots by next Friday before the tear-down, posting by Saturday if all goes as planned.
                    www.slapdashracing.com

Comment

glad you're safe. that looks like quite the wreck.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Glad your safe! No injuries at all? that's incredible. Props to Bill for a well built cage!
                        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Glad to see your ok ,hello of a story !

Just out trying to build some boost !!
                          Stroked and blown 328i @ 15psi

Comment

Thanks.

The biggest injury I have is a bruised finger joint from when I grabbed my head instead of grabbing the belts, which I grabbed for the rest of the ride. My finger got caught between the helmet and the cage padding on the roof. That and a little scuffed shin when I got out of the car.

Bill has a few bruises, but that's it.
                            www.slapdashracing.com

Comment

Wow glad you guys are ok!
                              sigpic
                              1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
                              1987 325ic Black Vert
                              1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
                              1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

Working...
                              X