Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire shaving near N. Illinois S. Wisconsin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire shaving near N. Illinois S. Wisconsin?

Anyone know of anyplace that will shave new tires in Milwaukee/Northern Illinois area?

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
    HSAX Instructor

Im curious as to why you want to shave tires? I know it is a good Idea to run your tires a bit until they get sicky but I have never heard of anyone shaving them. I only autox on street tires though so I may be a complete noob when it comes to a road course.

NVM. Just did some research. I have raced in two SCCA regions and have never heard of anyone doing this. When my street tires (usually thread ratings of 140) start to wear, I have great traction initially but then when heated become like an all season tire when trying to get grip.
    Last edited by WUGcatsvt; 11-22-2011, 12:13 PM.
    2002 SVT Focus for track and DD.
    1986 BMW 325E also for track and DD.

Comment

Shaving tires is a very common practice for competitors very serious into autoX. Main reason is to have fresh, non heat cycled rubber with less tread squirm from the tread blocks.

Comment

There was a guy by name of Tommy Turtle at Raceway Park that sent my street stock tires to the shaver. Its been close to 20 years, I will ask around.
        sigpic
        Reich und Roll!

Comment

Cassidy tire, Addison Il 630 620 2300
          sigpic
          Reich und Roll!

Comment

I actually found a place right by my home track on South Beloit, WI that does it. Best part is he lives right by the tire shop I ordered the tires from so he's picking up and dropping off for me.

Frisby Performance Tire
            800-798-7201

HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
              Shaving tires is a very common practice for competitors very serious into autoX. Main reason is to have fresh, non heat cycled rubber with less tread squirm from the tread blocks.
              They also don't retain as much heat and the compound is less likely to harden after a few heat cycles.
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                They also don't retain as much heat and the compound is less likely to harden after a few heat cycles.
                Did not know that, thanks!

Comment

I find it easiest to just order the tire from a place that does shaving
                  sigpic
                  -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

I didn't order them, they were an early Xmas gift.

HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                      Did not know that, thanks!
                      and they often will last longer than non shaved. This is all for dry use of course.
                      I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Working...
                      X