Window Nets anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Nets anyone?

Please post pics of window nets and mounting detail including how they are attached to the cage at the bottom and please give opinions on the best ones out there...mesh,net or a mix of both...thanks in advance

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Mine had the factory seatbelt mounted to a welded tab on the bottom door bar, SCCA rules say no plastic buckles but it passed tech and got a logbook this way.

The top just had two welded tabs, a long rod, and I made a spring on the back, so when you push the bar in it holds tight and can't move, push and compress the spring the net falls, as per the "quick release" rules most require. Worked great.

sigpic
    www.simontibbett.com

Comment

Get the mesh. Big marbles can get through the other stuff.
      Kyle Burkhardt
      NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
      PajamaPants Racing
      MW SE30 #12

Comment

I used the GM style release at the top, and welded a tab at the rear on my cage for the rear. For the bottom, I welded a steel tab on the main hoop, then took a long steel rod, and welded a tab for a bolt to go through in the rear (along with a spacer) here's a pic of the pivot point:

and on the front welded another tab and drilled a hole for a nylon strap that pulls tension against the bottom of the net. It keeps it taught and when you release the top, the whole assembly drops down the side.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

+1 on the mesh style - not just for safety, but also visibility. Much easier to see through those.

I'll have to take pics of my set-up in the E30. Worked well.
          Spring loaded rod on the top, pull tab rearward and the net drops out of the way.
          Bottom is attached to the lower door bar with 2 old sub-straps. Used 2-inch webbing and 2-inch adjusters.

For my Spec Miata, I had a customer net built - fills the driver window almost completely (just the lower corner is open for mirror vision). This net has the lower 'straps' as part of the whole net, 1 continuous strap from lower attachment point on the roll cage lower door bar all the way to the spring-loaded rod at the top - best setup I've come across and not much more than buying all the pieces I used on the E30.
          Ben
          Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
          April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
          May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
          October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
          October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
          Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Do they have a mesh type that is SF-I certified?
            I cant seem to find one...I am leaning toward all the racequip stuff as they have straps that attach to the cage at the bottom
            I am doing time trials...specifically hill climbs

Comment

Originally posted by cosm3os View Post
              Get the mesh. Big marbles can get through the other stuff.
              True but your visor should be down anyways ;)
              sigpic
              -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno4mance View Post
                Do they have a mesh type that is SF-I certified?
                I cant seem to find one...I am leaning toward all the racequip stuff as they have straps that attach to the cage at the bottom
                I am doing time trials...specifically hill climbs
                Hey Andrew, Saferacer carries a G-force window net that is mesh and SFI certified. Same one I use.

Here is the link

Here is a pic of my car with the mesh net.

Mark K
                1989 BMW 325i
                SCCA SEDIV TT Street Mod Champion 2011

Comment

Originally posted by NigelStu View Post
                  +1 on the mesh style - not just for safety, but also visibility. Much easier to see through those.

I'll have to take pics of my set-up in the E30. Worked well.
                  Spring loaded rod on the top, pull tab rearward and the net drops out of the way.
                  Bottom is attached to the lower door bar with 2 old sub-straps. Used 2-inch webbing and 2-inch adjusters.
                  That is what I use. You definitely want some way of adjusting the tension on the net. You don't want it loose, but you don't want it tight either. The spring bar at the top makes it easier to put the net up and it can be taken down quickly.

I did find that my spring bar kit had a round hole in the rear bracket. It is much easier to work the bar if you make that hole oblong in the vertical direction.

I've used the mesh net and congenital net. If the net doesn't extend too far forward I don't find that it matters which you use. When wearing a HANS you can't turn your head much and if you have a full containment seat (you should if racing) your visibility to the sides is more restricted.

I always want enough room between the forward edge of the net and the door frame to be able to get my arm out. That is more than enough for visibility but still provides the needed protection.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks for the input guys I will check out the saferacer nets and will probably go that route.....dont know why I did not look at your setup when I was at crow mountain!
                    Thanks Jim for your input also I was wondering how spec e30 do it...it would be interesting to see how these nets are assembled at the bottom of the net to the cage if either of you can snap a quick pic that would help.

Comment

Check the I/O port and safequip nets! They have mesh nets with 4 straps on the bottom to secure to to the door bars. Then the standard seat belt latch on the top. I usually will use a piece of flat stock at the top with a bolt at the rear for when I'm getting myself in, it is easier having the swing up system on the top.
                      Chris Leone
                      chrisleonemotorsports.com
                      rollcages and fabrication
                      Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

The four straps are great if you have NASCAR bars. I had X bars installed for weight saving, and so used the swing arm style.
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                        X