M20 temps during track days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 temps during track days?

Those of you who track your M20s, what sort of temps do you get out there after a few laps?

I did a track day a few days ago, and between dealing with brake fade and not hitting other cars, I noticed that my water temp gauge was hitting the 3/4 mark after three or four laps. I don't recall seeing it that high the last time I tracked my car so I limited my sessions to about five or so laps. Was about 80-85 deg F out there.

Is this normal? It's generally fine in traffic - fluctuates between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark.

I stayed below half the whole day at Shannonnville, a relatively low speed track.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

After 20-25 minutes, I'm usually at about the 2/3 mark on the guage on larger tracks. Usually after a cooldown lap and some idling, it drops back down to half or so.

Check your fan clutch and bleed your coolant system .

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

If it's ok in traffic, your fan clutch is not likely the problem. I don't even run the clutch fan - just the electric fan, and I have never hit 3/4 on the track, even on 90+ days and 30 minute sessions, so you do have a problem with something. The clutch fan is for times when the car isn't moving fast enough to pull cooler air through the system (stop and go traffic). On the track (or freeway), that should not be a problem. Could either be air in the system, or a blockage (radiator, thermostat). If you have access to one of those infared thermostats, you can follow the system and look for a significant drop in temperature to help find the blockage.

Comment

I should add that I have a brand new 5-spd rad, gutted A/C (no aux fan) and a new "stock" thermostat, and of course all new 50/50 coolant. I go out for 40-50 minute sessions on Shannonnville, with two cool down laps half way through. Brakes get hot though, need to run some ducting to help cool them down.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I've been on NHIS when it's 95 degrees, temp gauge never moves past 1/2 and very rarely can you even hear the engine fan when pulling back into the stalls. It makes more noise in stop and go traffic. I was toying with just taking it off. Oil temps run as high as 260 but cool right down to 210-220 after a cool down lap.

Comment

Originally posted by mdv
              IOil temps run as high as 260
              :eeek: and here I am thinking my 200-210 is too hot, and wishing I had a bigger cooler.
              Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

260 is very high (I think) for track events... even with 95 degree weather....

Did you try to clean out your oil cooler?

Comment

Have you tried running water wetter in your cooling system??

I tried it and noticed that the temp guage dropped about an 1/8th
                  I dont have a before and after temp reading, guage not installed yet.

Comment

i dont generally get past 1/4 in traffic on the road
                    and don't remember being past 1/2 ever on the track, even in June when it was fucking hot as balls

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                      i dont generally get past 1/4 in traffic on the road
                      Change your t-stat. cooler is not always better.

Comment

Has anyone ever installed the S38 M5/M6 oil cooler on a e30? Looks like the line fittings are the same size. This oil cooler is ~30% bigger then the m20 one. It looks like it would fit in the space provided, barely.
                        Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

last track day i did in the Z it had no fan clutch and still didn't go much past the halfway mark

in my bike I hit ~230 on hot days
                          Originally posted by blunt
                          can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Working...
                          X