My first event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first event

I just signed up for my first SCCA solo event, it's in Dover De. this sunday. Anyone have any recommendations. Obviously signed up for the novice class.
    sigpic

Get there early, get out on course and take notes. Snap a pic of the course map posted on the trailer, and refer to the notes and course layout while in the grid. Ask to ride with other drivers to see how they attack the course. Protect yourself from the sun, drink water and have major fun.
    sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Bring healthy food. No joke here. Once you're out on the track you'll be amazed at how fast you burn through calories (if you're doing it right) and you're gonna want to eat well to keep your senses sharp!

Good luck, it's a damn blast!

Comment

bringing a cooler with lots of water and good food. A few tools and some fluids, and one of my service trucks so I'll have air.
        sigpic

Comment

Good call on the tools as well. If you're running wheels that need spacers, but have the original spare in the trunk, be sure to bring the right length lugs for the spare.

Comment

Awesome day, awesome people, awesome birthday.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
              Awesome day, awesome people, awesome birthday.
              Just be careful, it's addictive ;)

Comment

Congrats! It really is addictive. Glad you had fun.

Comment

It is addictive till you do a track day...
                  1987 325is- $700 project car
                  1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula - Bolt ons,cam, 6 speed of fun.
                  2001 Miata - Current DD and to be for sale soon.
                  The Build- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=281011
                  Parts Car Part Out Left Overs- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...21#post3860521

Comment

I'm already looking at the next three events in my area. And looking to upgrade my steering rack.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 96Formula6spd View Post
                      It is addictive till you do a track day...
                      This wasn't a track day? I guess I'm not up on the lingo. I figured a free solo event in the novice group meant a track day?

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                        This wasn't a track day? I guess I'm not up on the lingo. I figured a free solo event in the novice group meant a track day?
                        Usually 'track day' refers to a HPDE style event, meaning open lapping session at an actual race track.

Comment

I don't know what you've done to your car to this point, but I'm pretty sure that upgrading your rack will take you out of stock class and into SM. If you decide you want to try to be competitive be sure to check class rules before making changes to your car. Other than that, welcome to the addiction!
                          88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                          We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Glad you had a good time. You don't want to throw yourself into SM, at least not yet. I changed racks more for medical reasons than anything else, pushing me into SM and its horrid PAX. Wait at least one season to gain experience before jumping into SM.
                            sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Thanks everyone, I was in dsp but I suppose you guys would already know that. My car is a 87e with a b25 swap, bav auto/bilstein combo. It's also got the 3.73 lsd, vert sways, bmw solid offset cab's. And a couple other mods if you look up my build thread "my delphin." They didn't really get to in depth asking me about my modifications. I did tell them about the b25 swap and the spring,shock upgrade though. I think they let my little brother and I slide a little, because I read in the rules a motor change is allowed as long as it's an oem motor for that car. I believe that was supposed to bump us up to sm but I'm not sure, I need to read the rule book. We both have darn near identical cars.
                              We started out the day with rain in the early am, that left the track a little wet. First time around I ran a 60.something. The next three runs for the morning I clicked a second off of each run, with the help of a ride along on one of them from a driver instructor. After lunch we got four more runs, two of them with a driver instructor, knocked a full second off of each run there too. Final and best run of the day was a 53.7 In the afternoon on a 90% dry track, it had a couple low spots that held water all day. My little brother beat me by a .5 second. Thanks again, and I hope to meet some of you there sometime.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X