Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing on bald tires....very attention-grabbing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing on bald tires....very attention-grabbing!

Hey all,

So I apologize if my non-E30 videos are getting a little old, but the Lotus Cortina forum isn't exactly...lively. I got some video during the last few laps of the small-bore enduro at Summit Point last month and wanted to share. The tires had been used every day since Wednesday with a new driver at the wheel, so they were pretty used up. Flat spots on the front, very little tread on the rear. It was very educational driving with less grip and I really enjoyed myself. There were also a couple of pucker-worthy moments during the session! (Check around 6:10)

Take a look and please share any advice:
    Last edited by ELVA164; 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Twitchy car runs on 13's or 14's. What is that tank in the passenger side, remote oil tank?
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Looks fun! Noob question though; what is that big tank on the passenger side?

Comment

looks like the car has a dry sump oiling system

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
          Twitchy car runs on 13's or 14's. What is that tank in the passenger side, remote oil tank?
          Originally posted by 303e30 View Post
          Looks fun! Noob question though; what is that big tank on the passenger side?
          Yep, dry sump oiling system as mentioned. There's no room in the engine bay for the tank and no need to run it to the trunk, so the passenger footwell works quite nicely.

Also, not sure if that was a question about the wheels M-technik, but they're 13-inch diameter.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Fast as always man, just a little more loose than usual. Keep it up! :up:

Comment

geez u r getting alot of seat time.......good 4 u..
              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

13's so small diameter equal a bit twitchy.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

......just start your drifting career already.....u r ready..

and oh...Ill continue to bust your balls about getting some type of HNR.....

another oh....I wanted to ask:

how many hrs/races/seasons will that engine see, before a teardown of sorts?.....

Comment

Love the noises this thing makes!! Looks like a ton of fun. I miss Summit!!!
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                      geez u r getting alot of seat time.......good 4 u..
                      Thanks, but this is actually from the same weekend as the last Summit video I posted. I just haven't had a chance to post this event. I got two chances that weekend, thanks to our awesome drivers sharing with me ;)

......just start your drifting career already.....u r ready..

and oh...Ill continue to bust your balls about getting some type of HNR.....

another oh....I wanted to ask:

how many hrs/races/seasons will that engine see, before a teardown of sorts?.....
                      I don't blame you for the restraint talk, we're shopping for one now that Dad and I will share. The engine should be good for 20-22 hours of run time before a refresh. It should make a couple refreshes before requiring a rebuild. We redline the engine at 7,500rpm, but I never use more than 7,000 to minimize wear and tear.
                      Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                      13's so small diameter equal a bit twitchy.
                      The wheel diameter is less of a factor than the state of the tires and the inexperience of the driver. The car has the ability to be very progressive and controllable if you put someone who knows what they're doing in the driver's seat.

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                      Love the noises this thing makes!! Looks like a ton of fun. I miss Summit!!!
                      Thanks! I really love the way this car sounds too. I wish I could find a video from another car in a session so I could hear the Cortina from the outside.

Comment

..what would a "refresh" be?....

and.....bring the car out to lime rock during a DE that Ill be at........lunch on me!!!!......Ill drive it all you want for you to hear it.....video it etc....Ill supply the vid tape!....
                        Last edited by JRKOUPE; 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

..what would a "refresh" be?....

and.....bring the car out to lime rock during a DE that Ill be at........lunch on me!!!!......Ill drive it all you want for you to hear it.....video it etc....Ill supply the vid tape!....
                          A refresh for one of our engines entails new rings, new bearings, new valve springs/keepers/retainers, any new valves that might be needed, any valve work that might be needed, and addressing any other issues we noticed.

Unfortunately, the car blew a head gasket today so a refresh won't quite cut it... It was still running strong though when the session ended, what a trooper. Our poor driver can't seem to get through a whole weekend without an issue.

Comment

fun stuff! Not a true comparison, but i did my first 4 auto-x runs on bald tires out of strictly educational purposes (had fresh tires at home)! Really teaches you A LOT about driving.
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                            OEM+

Comment

Why does your shift lever assembly move around so much?
                              :borg:

Comment

Working...
                              X