Autopower 6-Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autopower 6-Point

Do the front bars (the two "points" up front) travel through the dashboard, or do they go underneath the dashboard?

Also, would you be able to fit a passenger race shell in the car, w/ this 6-point cage?

Thanks!

I believe the AP roll cage does not go through the dash but right near it (which I don't like). I may be thinking about another bar, but lets see if others chime in.

With any roll cage (unless you are going to spend $4k for cage) should fit a passenger seat in no problem.

Comment

If youre getting a full cage... it NEEDS to go through the dash and be in FRONT of your legs. Thats the whole point for them. To protect your legs. If the bars are behind your shins, your legs will still be crushed in a front end collision. You dont need a full cage on a daily anyways. Really, you shouldnt even have a roll bar for a daily driver. It isnt safe.

Will
      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
      DaveCN = Old Man
      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
        If youre getting a full cage... it NEEDS to go through the dash and be in FRONT of your legs. Thats the whole point for them. To protect your legs. If the bars are behind your shins, your legs will still be crushed in a front end collision. You dont need a full cage on a daily anyways. Really, you shouldnt even have a roll bar for a daily driver. It isnt safe.

Will
        While I agree that its useless to have a full cage on a daily driver, I will say a roll bar is most certainly safe, especially for a road car. I had one in my Alpina and have since sold the car and roll bar to someone who rolled his Alpina. He is quite grateful to get the rollbar with the car.
        The aftermath. He was hurt but as you can see from the damage on the passenger side, he was very lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist

Will
          I'm not buying a cage, and if I was, not an Autopower one - I just wanted my questions answered. Thanks for the assist!

Comment

When did you ruin that beauty. You had that for for sale over on BimmerForums correct? What happened.......Ouch and you made it out with minor injuries?
            Last edited by SchnellerVert; 02-06-2006, 06:57 AM. Reason: wrong name inserted.

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert
              When did you ruin that beauty. You had that for for sale over on BimmerForums correct? What happened.......Ouch and you made it out with minor injuries?
              Thats not my Alpina. Those pictures are of the Alpina owned by the guy who bought my Alpina. He totaled his and bought mine.

Comment

Glad to hear that was not yours...

Comment

Acident Data.

Do any of you have any data to support your statements about the effect on safety relative to roll bars and the different types. I am especially interested in the statements that roll bars are unsafe on a street car but not on a race car and also as they effect injuries to feet. I can see that rollovers would be more frequent in competition due to the vehicle spending so much time at higher lateral G's. I know of no govenment agency that collects accident statistics that record whether or not a roll bar was installed in the car. All those crash dummies have proven that a lot of our "common sense" beliefs and intuitions concerning impacts were erroneous. Why do racing organizations require them? Is it for the hell of it.
                  Again, data, not "it's obvious" or "anyone can see".

Comment

Working...
                  X