Fuel Cell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cell

my gas tank was destroyed after my car fell off the jack stands. since my E30 will be on the track i thought id ask on here to see if any of you guys have put on/ how you installed it. when i researched it and i cant really seem to find anything im looking for. i will be running this on an M50 motor.

my plan is to install a 12 gallon tank with two -8AN outlets and a one -6AN vent. im trying to base the install of the fuel cell from the original tank and lines. im looking at diagrams and im seeing a fuel supply and fuel return. im confused on what the return line is, maybe a vent line?

since i have two outlets do i have to have two pumps or can i get away with one?

i obviously dont really have a clue on how to really do this. if anyone could help me out and maybe even show some pictures that would be awesome.

thank you

This is how to do one right. Really though, a stock tank is pretty good for the track unless you plan on doing enduros. Good location, low down and protected. So you might want to look into just replacing the stock tank, doing a fuel cell correctly can get $$$.
    84' 325i -> PRO3 #304
    Powered by Manntechnik
    Work in Progress Build Thread

Comment

Agreed! A brand new tank will work as well as a cell and will cost far, far, less.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Glad you didn't get hurt when it fell off the stands! How did it happen?

Comment

I had the rear end on jack stands and the front of the car was on the ground. I was trying to break loose a wheel bolt and while I was jerking on the breaker bar and the car rocking caused it to roll back. I still have my mind set on a fuel cell. I read that thread and I'll check it again for anything else I missed.

Comment

Unless there is no possible chance of the car ever stepping foot on a track, then stick with the stock tank. Search this forum, you will several posts covering the same topic - and the outcome is almost always the same - go stock. It puts all the weight where you want it (down low, ahead of the rear wheels.) If you go fuel cell - then do it right: approved cell, rollover vents, pickups, crash protection...etc. And then you really should have a fire system to cover the cell in case of rearend collision.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

the car will mainly be on a track, the events that i plan on going to will not require me to have one, but if i ever do go to one that would require me to have one i would be ready. i would only be doing this right if i plan to put one it. im pulling the tank ouit tomorrow, so i will see how bad the hole really is. if its not that bad i might just consider trying to patch the hole.

Comment

There is no organization that you can use the E30 in that will require a fuel cell added.
                BMWCCA, SCCA, NASA don't require it for most classes. It's actually pretty safe to keep it where it is. I have not seen, nor heard of too many E30's going fireball from a rearend collision with the stock tank. Course, this may also have to do with the fact that your rear down tubes should give a little protection to the stock location in a rear hit since they should be tied in to the rear shock towers..

But hey, don't let me stop you from throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist. :)
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I have a cell in my race car. If I could go back in time I wouldn't do it. Too much hassle (and cost- it's the gift that keeps on costing) for not much benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    Agreed! A brand new tank will work as well as a cell and will cost far, far, less.
                    Jim....where can I buy a brand new 63L tank? Are they OEM or aftermarket? I've read that aftermarket tanks are not so good....is it a less efficient syphon to get fuel to the pump side? Thanks.

Comment

You can get a quality tank from USAuto. Spectra Premium tank is only a little more expensive than a galvanized tank and is the better choice.

The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

ok guys i just wanted to shoot an update here. i decided to not go fuel cell. i took the tank out today and found out that there was only one hole and the tank wasnt too bad. i decided to go a cheap easy route before i buy a new tank. i used that quick steel stuff from autozone. if it works then thats great but if it doesnt ill buy a new tank.

here is the damage.

putty stuff.

before

after

overall i think it went well and i must say if it does. THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY MONEY. im glad to have received the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X