Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIA fuel cell exemption for e30?

Hello

I have raced e30's in the US for years, have run with every sanctioning body on the east coast SCCA, NASA, BMW CCA, SVRA, VDCA, HSR, etc. Today I was excluded from the Gold Cup Historics because I did not have a fuel cell. The other e30 did not either but I did not want to rat him out...I am looking for a link to an FIA exemption for fuel cells for the e30 chassis, anyone out there know where to look? I would never add a fuel cell to an e30, years ago the guys at ATL said there was not a way to install one without a compromise in safety compared to the stock unit.

Thanks

Al Taylor

The Group A pro drive e30s had fuel cells...

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

depends on the sanctioning bodies rules. I doubt there is an "FIA exemption" for an E30.

PS- why do you have a pic of David White as your avatar?

Comment

I don't see any reason why a stock tank would be safer than a cell other than location. I'm not sure how the other car (lagunengrun vert I suppose?) got by without one, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the SVRA rulebook that the car has to have some sort of fireproof bladder/cell. If nothing else, it's a lot more durable than a stock tank.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

The stock tank is buried deep in the car. The only real place to put a cell is in the spare tire well which is easily more accessible in an accident. I have a cell in my E30, if I could go back in time I would have kept the stock tank.

Comment

Stock tank in mine, and I have run with SCCA, NASA, ICSCC, and no one has mentioned anything about the stock tank. Course, I have not run with SOVERN or any of the vintage guys, so maybe they are a bit pickier. The only advantage I could see with running a fuel cell in an E30 is Enduro's where you need quicker method of fueling and the ability to carry more fuel (though most sanctioning bodies I have run with won't allow you to start out with more than the car originally came with and only dump 10 gals at most each pit.)
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by gobuffs View Post
              The stock tank is buried deep in the car. The only real place to put a cell is in the spare tire well which is easily more accessible in an accident. I have a cell in my E30, if I could go back in time I would have kept the stock tank.
              That's true, but it's also what every SVRA-eligible sedan I've ever seen has installed. I'm not trying to defend their actions, but it's their rule.

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
              Course, I have not run with SOVERN or any of the vintage guys, so maybe they are a bit pickier.
              Pretty much.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                That's true, but it's also what every SVRA-eligible sedan I've ever seen has installed. I'm not trying to defend their actions, but it's their rule.
                That's what I said in my first post...depends on the organization's rules.

Comment

Guess we should both stop beating this dead horse.

Comment

I think SVRA is trying to stave off the horde of Miata's that are technically old enough to run....

There were no e30 or e36 BMW's with cell's at the event. I was in the green vert. When I come back next year will be in either a CS, Alfa GTV or Fiat/Abarth which of course will have a cell. The vert is my Spec e30 NASA car, although I may run it with VDCA in April at VIR...

Al

Comment

Off topic, but it's cool that you are racing with a vert. What have you done to stiffen the chassis to make it competitive?
                      1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by 324tdi View Post
                        I think SVRA is trying to stave off the horde of Miata's that are technically old enough to run....

There were no e30 or e36 BMW's with cell's at the event. I was in the green vert. When I come back next year will be in either a CS, Alfa GTV or Fiat/Abarth which of course will have a cell. The vert is my Spec e30 NASA car, although I may run it with VDCA in April at VIR...

Al
                        I find it hard to believe that SVRA would try to stave anything off, the way they've been whoring out the definition of the word "vintage." You could be right though, the Miata guys do have a bit of a reputation. Are you trying to decide which of those other three to buy? If so, lucky you! Would it be a CSL rep if you went the CS route?

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomZoomBoom View Post
                          Off topic, but it's cool that you are racing with a vert. What have you done to stiffen the chassis to make it competitive?
                          Since he's running SE30, he would have to run a full cage, which will make the car as stiff as necessary. And since it is SE30, he is limited in additional reinforcement options.

One benefit I am sure he enjoys, is that much more of his weight is down low, which is always a plus.
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                            Since he's running SE30, he would have to run a full cage, which will make the car as stiff as necessary. And since it is SE30, he is limited in additional reinforcement options.

One benefit I am sure he enjoys, is that much more of his weight is down low, which is always a plus.
                            Ahh nice.
                            1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

The vert chassis has a lot of factory added stiffening....it is really really strong. I have rebuilt 2 wrecked verts, both hit majorly in the front, both had no problems in the front strut or door gap area. Sometimes I run with a factory hardtop which helps with aero...

I already have the CS, GTV and Fiat Abarth....I most likely will run the F/A at Krause's VIR south event and maybe Lime Rock....The GTV at Road America if I can get it done. The CS will take a couple more years, will be unflared and close to stock drivetrain...

Thanks

Al Taylor

ps, the DW avatar, we had a bunch of SE30 guys that were doing that, maybe 3 years ago or so, just too lazy to change mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X