e30s at Chumpcar Pittsburgh Double-7s - Rage Cage Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30s at Chumpcar Pittsburgh Double-7s - Rage Cage Racing

This weekend we towed the #444 Rage Cage ETA up to Chump Pittsburgh after the car successfully completed Chump Watkins Glen and Lemons Capitol Offense.

Our tow caravan is slightly less ostentatious than some of the other people who show up with "$500" cars and $500,000 tow rigs, lol. I'll note that my V6 4Runner towed great and we did 70mph pretty much the whole 5 hours there, and got over 15mpg doing it. Who needs a big diesel? :)

Just as a disclaimer - I don't own this car, I just drive with Jim Spoth and Stephen Nichols who own it, and did most of the cosmetic work/paint and some mechanical stuff. This car has a stock ETA engine, stock suspension (aside from a coil cut off the springs), and is pretty much a stock car aside from motor mounts and a few bushings. It is a fully legit Chump and Lemons car that could in no way be called a "cheater," lol.....and will be fully legal for the new rules going into effect next year, to boot.

All of the other BMWs present were faster cars....some B25 e30s, a couple supposedly with M50 (?) swaps, and some e36s.

We ran an uneventful practice session, except for some heavy rain at the end. I started Saturday morning for 2 hours in the fog and wet track. Had a few close calls with other drivers being a bit over-aggressive but finished the session clean. We used 5 drivers so had an extra pit compared to some others as well. But the car ran well, we used the same tires that we used at Summit Lemons, and by the end of the day we finished 15th (or 16th, I don't recall). So we were pretty pleased with that considering there are less than 10 cars there that are slower than ours, and we beat all of them, plus a number of faster cars that either weren't driven well or broke.

For the weekend, our two best drivers (the car's owners) were putting down 1:15 fastest times in the dry sessions, while most of the other BMWs could knock down 1:12-1:13s at least. Day one my fastest times were about 1:20 on a wet track the whole time and cool morning weather. Day 2 I was only about 2 seconds faster, but spent most of my time in the car under 2 full-course cautions and the resulting heavy traffic when they lifted. Basically had zero laps to really open it up, but did have a half-dozen laps jockeying with the two VW Golfs that would dive-bomb corners and then I'd take them in the straights. Freaking tripods!

Second day we ran stronger as a group, and with an hour left were sitting 15th, but Jim came in and dropped continuous 1:15-16 laps with no major mistakes and passed three cars, and one or two more cars dropped out so we ended up 11th. Not bad for a stock ETA!

The guys may run at VIR in December, not sure. I can't make that race.

Anyhow, some pics are in this album if any of the other BMW drivers are here (Shumacher Taxi Service, etc). They're not awesome but whatever.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Some of the BMWs there...

s2k at the practice day had some issues

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

You guys don't bring much in the way of tools and spares, do you? Can you teach my team that?

Comment

Originally posted by Nygdup View Post
      You guys don't bring much in the way of tools and spares, do you? Can you teach my team that?
      Actually we bring a good bit. Not shown in the photos is a Saabaru full of stuff, and a Honda Pilot full of stuff and the 2nd set of wheels. I think we had two really large bins full of spare parts.

But of course with an e30, there's a good chance that if you didn't bring the part, someone else there has one.
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Looks like alot of fun though !!!!!:twisted:
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I can live vicariously through your team until our Chump Schnitzel is straightened out (hopefully in time to grab our slot for the Chumpionship).

Comment

Originally posted by Nygdup View Post
            We bring a lot, but since we don't have an awesome towing setup, we tend to have to carry things in small boxes which don't look very impressive. It's also extremely disorganized.

We have stopped bring the spare diff, transmission, and cylinder head though.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Thanks for sharing! I can live vicariously through your team until our Chump Schnitzel is straightened out (hopefully in time to grab our slot for the Chumpionship).
            Hope you guys get that car fixed. It's looking like we'll be at VIR for rolling chicane duty.

Comment

Working...
            X