Show me your switch panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show me your switch panels

So guys busy rewriting the e30 and want some ideas for switch panel / fuse block designs.

My plan is to relocate to where the hvac stuff was.

While I'm here,

Do the head lights, electric fan, and fuel pump need a relays? Or could I just power them through a 15a switches

Here are some pics from a current SpecE30/Enduro build. The switch panel is actually very basic in design.

We purchased all of our switches from a notable aircraft supply outfit so we could be sure of quality control and durability.

We are using 3 on/off switches for secondary battery power switch, ignition, and one Aux switch for future use. We used one momentary push button for the start button, a 3 position switch for the mono wiper, on/off/on for hi and low speeds, we also have a momentary switch for wiper washer pump.

We have 2 LED's to indicate power on for the battery and ignition switches, both of these are covered with intentional use/quick shut down toggle covers. The other 3 switches are covered with a waterproof switch condom.

We used a dual location battery disconnect, one a manual switch accessible to pit crew and track workers, the second being under driver control. The secondary disconnect is located 3ft from the manual switch on the same power cable.

The secondary battery disconnect is a ground operated relay certified for Cessna Aircraft. It is rated at 150,000 hrs of Continuous Operation, 300,000 hrs of intermittent use. Not sure you can get more reliable then that. We used a E30 main fuse relay bracket and cover for the battery relay cover located at passenger side foot well.

Hope this helps give you some ideas/inspiration.

Robert
    E30 Motor Werks

Also to answer your question regarding relays, yes all the items you listed need relays. Myself, I strip/cut out all unneeded wiring in the car and use all stock circuits. This makes troubleshooting a breeze as when anything happens its all in the stock wiring diagrams. I also have a stock of factory wiring harness's to steal from so I always try my best to match the factory wire colors and size for custom circuits.

The point being, The factory wiring is integrated into all functions of the car, take advantage of it and use it. All the circuits you need are already there.
    Last edited by RobertC; 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM.
    www.facebook.com/E30motorwerks

Comment

That's awesome!!

Thanks!

Quick question, why the need for the battery switch on the switch panel? Wouldn't the kill switch do the same thing.

Being a spec car, I assume you had to keep the factory fusebox? I have relocated the fusebox inside and cut most of the wires at the box (just for trimming will remove them properly when I mount).

This is the plan:

New switches & Wiring:

EFI
      Main Power
      Start Button
      Kill switch (external on the wiper cowel)
      Fuel pumps
      Wipers (running a DTM e30 m3 wiper motor)
      Internal heat extraction fan
      Engine Fan

Existing Switches & wiring:

Headlight switch modified
      Hazards
      Rear Demister
      Direction signal lever / hi beams

Warning Lights:

Oil Pressure
      Water Temp
      Oil Temp
      Overboost (maybe, if I can find out how to wire it in)

Chassis wiring:

Starter
      Horn
      Direction SIgnals
      Headlights
      Tail Lights(inc brake lights, and reverse)

Gauges:

Rev counter
      Oil Pressure
      Oil Temp
      Fuel
      Water Temp
      Boost
      Lambda (maybe)

I am ditching the stock cluster, also going to run a separate engine harness and fuse box.

Now the main goal for now is to get the chassis electrics working, how feasible is it to rewire with a new fusebox ad relay setup? Or should I just extend wires from the switches to and from the original fuse box?

This electrical stuff is highly overwhelming right now. Just wish I could find a POA, that breaks it down into steps.

Comment

Not sure if its spec legal but ill be using an arc8000 panel. The relays and already done for you. All you have to do is basicly hook up the leads to what ever your powering. 8 backlit (red for off green for on ) switches that just plug into the relay/fuse box.

Comment

Working...
        X