AutoX Go Pro!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AutoX Go Pro!

Put together a little video of all six of my runs at our last local autocross with Capital Driving Club. Feel free to provide some critique/criticism as I've only been doing this for about a year on and off. Otherwise just enjoy the e30 getting shoved around a parking lot!

- Sean

sigpic

I didn't check the times but the 3rd run seemed the smoothest like you put the whole course together. All the runs after that seemed like you were pushing too hard and spent more time correcting from that.

Edit: After re-watching and a better screen looks like the 3rd run was a 49.XX (i think) and the second to last run was a 48.XX. All in all nice driving.
    Last edited by tinkerputzer; 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

hah....I used to run with CDC almost 10 years ago. I have vids of me running my old Maxima there at Harry Grove Stadium (the smallest lot in the world). Except those vids were made on an actual Mega-8 videocam mounted via stickypod on the roof :)

Is Ed Chan still running the show around there, and driving that TR6?
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
        I didn't check the times but the 3rd run seemed the smoothest like you put the whole course together. All the runs after that seemed like you were pushing too hard and spent more time correcting from that.

Edit: After re-watching and a better screen looks like the 3rd run was a 49.XX (i think) and the second to last run was a 48.XX. All in all nice driving.
        Yea the 5th run was the fastest, but I'll admit probably the most out of control too. I think its coming down to trying to use as much of the course as possible for each turn. I feel like I cut a lot of them short.

Is Ed Chan still running the show around there, and driving that TR6?
        Yeah he's still the main guy. Haven't seen a TR6 lately. He's been using a late 50's Austin-Healey for the most part now. Irish, this is based purely off of your sig picture, but do you run rallys/rallyx? A buddy of mine and I have been looking to get into that whole other side of racing.

Edit: Just looked through your rallycross build. That is awesome! Any advice for someone looking to join?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
          Yea the 5th run was the fastest, but I'll admit probably the most out of control too. I think its coming down to trying to use as much of the course as possible for each turn. I feel like I cut a lot of them short.

Yeah he's still the main guy. Haven't seen a TR6 lately. He's been using a late 50's Austin-Healey for the most part now. Irish, this is based purely off of your sig picture, but do you run rallys/rallyx? A buddy of mine and I have been looking to get into that whole other side of racing.

Edit: Just looked through your rallycross build. That is awesome! Any advice for someone looking to join?
          First advice would be to come to our next (and last of the season) event on November 10th at Summit Point. There will be several e30s running out there, it's fun spectating (much more exciting for spectators than autocross, I'd say), and everyone there is cool and will talk to you about it, and give ride-alongs.

I'd usually offer up ride-alongs, but since I have to win this event (battling for the class win and this is the last event), so I'm taking my passenger seat out for a bit of weight savings :)

Otherwise.....you can rallycross in damn near anything. We had a stock Acura TL at the last event, and have even had a few rental cars out there. Only thing you don't want is a lowered car, but stock height is fine. Also note that rallycross your time is ALL your runs combined (we got 13-15 runs last event!), and they're 60-100 seconds long each. So consistency is key. Unlike autocross where you can go balls-out trying to get that ONE fast run. Plus the conditions change between every run, so you have to adjust each run to suit.

Feel free to hit me up on PM if you have specific questions, otherwise come on out and see what's up! I do warn you though.....if you start to rallycross you may not want to autocross anymore. :nice:
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

That is quite a bit more run time that autocross. I'm definitely going to try to make it out in November otherwise the plans are made now to start this in the spring!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
              That is quite a bit more run time that autocross. I'm definitely going to try to make it out in November otherwise the plans are made now to start this in the spring!
              Total run time at a "typical" event is 800-1200 seconds depending on what course we're on, how many people show up, and if everything is working well with timing, etc.

Last event the average car was around 800 seconds and 13 runs (+2 that were thrown out due to timing equipment issues) using the smallest of the three courses at Summit. At one event this season (non-points event with less cars) we got nearly 30 runs :)

So yeah, even a "full" rallycross (60 cars is the max) you're looking at about 15 minutes of total racing time at least. Much more bang for the buck, though it is a bit more expensive (IIRC about $70 per event).
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
              X