School me on drifting... e30 or e36?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on drifting... e30 or e36?

Hey guys, so this winter i am planning on buying a car and turning it into gutted/caged drift car...
    Its expensive but its something i have always wanted to get into, and with me getting a new job i feel like now its more affordable to do so.

I made this thread because i know some of you have done it in either car or both.. and what chassis did you like to work with better?
    Ive never tried to drift a e36, but i know people do it and like a lot. That is why i am asking.
    In the long run what would the better car be?

What challenges should i be prepared for wanting to get into this hobby/sport other then financial? lol

Thanks!
    sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
    1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
    1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
    1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
    (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
    1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
    2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
    2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

From what I understand, the e36 is the better choice... as long as you reinforce the frame in the rear anyway.

1. Better rear end setup, adjustable alignment from the factory
    2. From what I understand, fits wide tires easier
    3. Can do most swaps while retaining the factory power brakes. non-assisted brakes suck dick
    4. Better/bigger brakes standard, potential for even bigger-ass brakes
    5. Noone wants e36's as most of them are in shit condition. I.E. you can get them cheap as shit. Also, everyone seems to want a million bucks for their auto eta these days anyway, so fuck that

It really comes down to what body style you prefer I guess. Also, be prepared to hit a few walls and be sad, i.e. don't buy something clean.

Comment

The e36 is a much easier car to slide around and control.
      The e30 keeps you really "busy" when trying to slide around consistently, if that makes any sense.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I feel that the E36 chassis is much better than E30. You can adjust rear suspension on an E36 much easier than an E30, all that camber arm business. E30s are getting more expensive (I don't know why)

But you will look cooler in an E30 because the car is older and people will say "damn, that car has some character"

they will also say "that car looks like a shoe box"

I've drifted both E30 and E36M3 chassis!
        sigpic

Comment

If it means anything, Tsuchiya once said in an old Japanese drifting video that the E36 is the best car for drifting straight out of the box.

I've only drifted 86's and 240's, so I can't speak from experience, but I would imagine the E36 would take less money to be a competitive car than an E30 would. And for some reason, you can get an E36 for cheaper now than an E30.... However, I recommend going with whatever chassis you like more personally, as you will be spending a lot of time with the car and you don't want to lose motivation/interest.
          sigpic
          - '89 325is track beast
          - '91 318is daily corner carver

Comment

e36 is also dirt cheap and parts are everywhere in junkyards. You also wont feel like a total loser when you check a nice e30 into another car/curb/wall.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by robgoesvroom View Post
              E30s are getting more expensive (I don't know why)
              Do a search for "parting E30" or "I just wrecked my car" in the regional forums..
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

For what it's worth, you should just skip the idea of a drift bmw and just do a 240. So much cheaper and abundant performance drift parts. You also don't need control arms that make your camber close to unstreetable to get competitive lock.

Just sayin.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Greatly appreciated.
                  I think e36 it is then..
                  I was thinking about a 240, but those are to main stream... yes its cheaper (thats why they mainstream), but something just makes me wanna try and drift a bmw. I already know a little bit about them and dont want to go out and try to learn a new world.
                  sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
                  1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
                  1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
                  1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
                  (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
                  1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
                  2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
                  2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Be different, get a 1988 Ford LTD and swap in a 460. Plus you can have like 10 people in your car while doing your thing.

Comment

Hahah that would be great, yet so terrible. You'd have so much body roll it'd be like banking a 747.

Comment

Its a boat man, what the worst that could happen... sail?

Comment

Foreseeable, but glorious/related future:

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                            Foreseeable, but glorious/related future:

Just remember to hold your beer out the window.

Comment

Pretty sure that's how you win all drifting competitions

Comment

Working...
                              X