Best cheap, wide wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cheap, wide wheels?

So eventually I would like to get into autoX however it is going to take me awhile to get the funds and get my car ready cause Im an 18 year old working minimum wage. Ive already done TONS of maintenance to my car as you can see in my for sale post (might keep the car). I was going to start with wheels and I like the look of wide wheels. What would best the most cost effective wheels for an 18 year old on a budget that are wide and still look somewhat nice?
    1991 318i - T-Boned
    1987 325is - Sold
    1991 318is - Current

TRM c1s in 15x7 or 15x8.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Str or xxr both makes wide wheels on a budget.

Comment

Don't let your wheels stop you from autocrossing what you've got now while you're saving up.
        91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ocell View Post
          Don't let your wheels stop you from autocrossing what you've got now while you're saving up.
          This. Mechanical setbacks have kept me from taking my e30 to the previous auto x events in my area this summer. Instead I took my dd on absolutely trash winter tires. It was awesome. I was slow, and slid everywhere, but had an awesome time. Honestly, driving on limited grip will make you a better driver, by teaching you to make the absolute most of the grip you have to milk every last second out of your runs. There were people showing up with trailered in gutted cars on r compound tires putting down times barely faster than mine.

Just go, have fun, and improve your car control abilities. Your skill will make a much bigger difference then your tires will.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
            Honestly, driving on limited grip will make you a better driver, by teaching you to make the absolute most of the grip you have to milk every last second out of your runs.
            x1000

Seat time is a huge part of autocross. Plus, if you start now with your car stock you'll better appreciate your upgrades as you make them, and your skills will be better developed to take advantage of them.

But back on topic, seems like a lot of people end up running the TRM C1S since they're super light and very cheap. Tire Rack sells them.
            Last edited by Ocell; 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM.
            91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

rock bottlecaps until you can afford to drop $1k on a decent set of reemz and tires. and by that I mean decent tires and cheap ass STR or XXR wheels like tacoman suggested. nothing says baller like 9-10" wheels.

Protip: get 17s, your wallet will thank you later when you want a decent selection of cheap, wide tires

Comment

Wide wheels will put you in a class that you might not like. The width you are wanting, I bet will put you in SM or SP. The competition in those classes is brutal. Better read the rule book and see where you are headed with wide tires. I had a ball my first season with Star Specs and 6.5 inch basket weaves.
                sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I'll take the general advice and go stock till I have more cash saved up
                  1991 318i - T-Boned
                  1987 325is - Sold
                  1991 318is - Current

Comment

Originally posted by Ocell View Post
                    Agree

I have sporty 16x8" street wheels on my E30 and like the look but, I still run the stock 14x6.5" basket-weaves for auto-x and track. Didn't want to spend the $money$ for a 2nd set of upgrade wheels. Running the old 14" Star Specs, the little girl is plenty quick. My choices of tires are getting, limited but, the car does just fine on the old school, little wheels/tires.

As mentioned by others, just go, with what you've got and have Fun. Run whatever tires you have. Believe me ... sideways is seriously fun anyway. You'll learn and won't put much wear on the rubber.

Enjoy
                    1990 E30 325is
                    Alpinweiss
                    H&R Cup Kit Suspension + IE Adjustable Sway Bars + GC Camber Plates
                    RD Strut Brace + Turner Cross-Drilled Rotors + Porterfield Pads
                    2002 E39 540i M-Sport
                    2013 F25 X3 28i 2.0T
                    2015 F36 428xi G.C. M-Sport

Comment

TRM c1

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
                      PM me for custom shift knobs and stickers!
                      Originally posted by marshallnoise
                      You ain't done working on a car unless you are bleeding.

Comment

Depending on the sanctioning body (SCCA or BMWCCA) you should be able to run 15x7 in stock. these were available on the 325ix. but for a bit wider, (which may not be allowed in stock or stereet class) the 15x8 TRmotorsport that everyone else mentioned, is a great wheel. All 3 sets of my tires are on these. I generally run 225/45-15. much more than this will require rolling the fenders and a higher offset wheel or spacers. (not a big deal).

Look around, you may be able to find someone selling 15x7 basket weaves. I think they would be cheaper than the TRmotorsports.

I also second the seat time. dont hesitate to go autocross. learning on a less desirable tire is going to help you understand grip limits better. with the better gripping tires, they wont let go as progressively as the cheapos.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X