Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castro SpecE30 on the podium at Laguna Seca

Race video:

This is "Laguna Seca 2014" by ignatius reily on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Late race report, but I went to Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago for the joint Socal / Norcal crossover SE30 race. Last year was an absolute crashfest, with the SoCal field losing 5 of our 12 cars in one race. Between that and hardly any track time this year I was pretty damn apprehensive.

Qualifying came around and the time sheet showed me 6th out of 22 starters, and 2nd of SoCal starters. Whelp, guess I'm racin'! Some later "adjustments" somehow put me back to 10th for some reason.

There was a LONG delay before the start because the damn safety truck broke down in the corkscrew! So we knew the race would be shortened, but didn't know how much.

Took the start and passed a few people on the opening lap. I found that running at basically qualifying pace meant I could keep the lead pack in sight, although not close enough to pass. I just kept hammering down, hoping someone would spin or make a mistake that I could take advantage of. Most of the guys in front of me had more power and were just pulling away up the long hill to 8. The Castro-built motor was right on spec with 155.4 hp, but NorCal rules allow 162.

Well after a while at that pace the tires and brakes were overheated and done, so the guys behind me started catching me. Got passed twice, got one guy back, and some other guy passed me only to get DQ'd. Ended up finishing 5th overall / 3rd in SoCal. Two fewer laps and I would have been 4th / 2nd! Not bad! Castro on the podium again!

Sunday I broke down because I put my brakes together wrong the day before and the caliper fell apart.
    Last edited by priapism; 08-03-2014, 10:26 AM.
    sigpic
    -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by priapism View Post
      Nice. That's the best way to exit 11. :p

Comment

Some like to carry more speed and do it in 3rd, I like to put it in 2nd, point the front end where I want it to go, and gun it :)

sigpic

Comment

Congratulations! Nice racing.
          One of my favorite tracks for sure!
          HIK Fab

Comment

Man the corkscrew looks so fun to drive down!

Comment

Nice job you whimsical guy, you!

Comment

Hmmmm, I have never seen a five step podium before...

Comment

Finished 3rd in class, not overall.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X