Lola goes to an HPDE

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • philakamrbean
    replied
    looking really really good.

    2 Questions, what transmission are you using, and what differential? I'm in process of amassing parts for an M50 with M54 internals, and am up in the air about which trans to use (Getrag 250 or 265), and that would determine the rear end.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    You left your windows open btw...

    But really, great looking pictures. I hope to make it to a track this year.

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied


















    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Originally posted by ak-
    Talk to me about your Azenis and track time with them.
    I love them. They are the stickiest tires I've ever owned, though to be fair they're also the only set I've owned with a 200 tread wear rating. They provide great audible feedback, and are very predictable when you're smooth. I only got slightly out of shape a couple of times over the weekend, and both times were the result of my inputs - not any fault of the tire.

    I will say they're not great in the rain, at least when it comes to standing water - which there was a LOT of on the track after the downpours we had, as the pics will show.

    I did have a chance to do a direct comparison this past weekend against my street tires, which are almost new (< 1000 miles) Nitto NeoGens with a 280 tread wear rating. Because of the heavy rain Saturday morning, I switched to the Nittos since it was pucker inducing at anything over 70.

    Once the track mostly dried up (amazingly quickly, considering there were some turns with more than 6" of water spanning almost the width of the track - so calling them "puddles" wouldn't paint the picture properly), I ran one session with the Nittos still on the car. They were okay, though they had noticeably less grip in the corners, especially the off-camber ones.

    The Nittos would push when cornered hard despite some audible protestation, though the Azenis would grab and keep grabbing until they went from singing to screaming - at which point I knew I was near their limit of adhesion. The feel in the steering wheel between the two is noticeably different as well.

    The Nittos are great street tires, but the Azenis kick their ass on the track.

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    Talk to me about your Azenis and track time with them.

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • GAbOS
    replied
    Nice!

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    The Bluegrass Bimmers CCA hosted their Spring event at NCM this past weekend. Here's a video of the final session with one of my friends (who is an instructor, though he wasn't mine) riding shotgun and giving me pointers.

    I got to within about two seconds of the times he was running in his S50 powered E30 M3, so I'm definitely happy with that.

    Drink every time he says "Floor it!" or "Gas!"


    Leave a comment:


  • Beej '86 325es
    replied
    That's pretty awesome that they both fixed the issue and could still hit the track...especially replacing a clutch!

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    One of them drove and the other trailered. According to Chris D they wanted to have a trailer there in case one of the cars had to go home on it. Ironically enough they both had on-track failures (wheel bearing on Friday for D; clutch on Saturday for P), made repairs in the paddock the following morning and got out that afternoon.

    Here's Chris P's clutch:

    Leave a comment:


  • Beej '86 325es
    replied
    Originally posted by agent
    I'm pretty sure the other two Chris' were from Indy. They were both in E30s - one in a 325i sedan; the other in a swapped E30 M3.
    I know the Chris with the M3...I'll have to ask him next weekend what he did to make his ride more tolerable. His car is just as uncomfortable as mine!

    Leave a comment:


  • Ether-D
    replied
    Jeeze, that looks like fun. And legal!

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Thanks man! I was pleasantly surprised by them. I think the Azenis are even better on track than they are at AutoX. The audible feedback I got from them was really helpful as I picked up speed over the course of the weekend. I was able to get really close to (and even match a few of) my instructor's corner exit speeds, and he was running NT01s on Koseis.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Sweet man! Thing sounds mean and that track looks badass! How you liking them azenis? :)

    You'll see some more video from me soon, but this one won't be from whee30 ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • agent
    replied
    Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD
    That track looks amazing.
    Oh it is.

    Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
    Looks like a good time! I wanted to go, but a 5 hour drive to Bowling Green would be grueling in my E30!
    I'm pretty sure the other two Chris' were from Indy. They were both in E30s - one in a 325i sedan; the other in a swapped E30 M3.

    Originally posted by matthugie
    Chris, I had issues with my car cavitating anywhere below half a tank both on track and autox. Most people don't get it until about 1/4 of a tank but regardless I couldn't run below 1/2 without issue. I couldn't even get 2 full sessions in at VIR before having fuel cut coming out of right handers. There are quite a few remedies in this section if you search, or, since you aren't competing, just keep it topped up and you'll be fine.
    Thanks Matt. I had pronounced starvation issues in right handers at both AutoX and taking on/off ramps at speed when I was running the Walbro 255 using the install mod found here on R3V. Based on my experience I would not recommend that method, especially for an AutoX and/or track car. The issue was nonexistent on the OEM VDO until this weekend, though I'm relieved to know it's not just an issue with Lola!

    Originally posted by matthugie
    That said, it looks like a blast! I really like that course layout, I'd like to get up there at some point and give it a shot, though it is a solid hike from where I live.
    See you in May. ;)

    Leave a comment:

Working...