First track day review: Thunderhill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First track day review: Thunderhill!

I had a s'load of fun, but I was so farking tired by the end of the day. I took a lot of advice from the experienced track guys on this forum and ran on my street tires. I don't have any previous track experience, but I have to say I learned a lot about driving smoothly thanks to my instructor.

I have so much respect for the instructors who come out and teach their craft to n00bs like me. It really shows that they understand what the hell they are talking about. It's one thing to be fast, but as my instructor mentioned some fast racers cannot "remember how to get on their hands and knees" and remember what's it like to be a beginner. I hope one day I can get good enough where I can explain weight transfer and the proper line in simple terms to another novice as well.

I went out with a very simple setup and I was able to hang with highly modified cars, but just not in the straights lol. Anywhere here's my setup:

-205/60/14 Falken Ziex 512 tires on stock basketweaves
    -Axxis Ultimates/SS lines/OEM rotors
    -Z4 3.0L short shifter
    -Momo 350mm Monte Carlo w/ Ebay Quick Release
    -E28 535i engine mounts
    -Stock seat, suspension, and engine (and I mean stock!)

One thing that might interest you M42 guys, it was 105 deg. out and my cooling system ran a tiny bit COOL. My cooling system is stock. I just replaced the fan clutch and everything else is OEM specs. Nothing fancy. But I did run A LOT of distilled water, probably ended up with 80% water/20% coolant ratio. I was at WOT most of the time :D, and i kept peeking at the temps and they stayed 2-3mm before the 1/2 mark. So if you guys are having cooling problems, make sure your system is not leaking and properly bled. Don't worry about upgrades or lower temp t-stats or fan switches. Just make sure everything it's good running order.

I'll post up some footage and actions shots later on. I just hope everyone can scrounge enough money up and STOP MODDING for one month and go drive. I'm living proof that a stock 318is on all-season tires can have a fucking blast at the track and still keep up with higher-hp cars with wider/stickier tires and stiffer suspension. And this is only my first track event. It's all seat-time baby!

Happy Motoring,
    Brandon

-Brandon

Good to hear you had fun. I need to take some time to go to the track more. I've been to Laguna once and had a blast. I would like to visit some other tracks as well.

Originally posted by BrandC View Post
    -E28 535i engine mounts
    Will these work with an m20, or just with the m42? Are they a direct swap?
    I need to replace my motor mounts, and I assume these are beefier...

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post

Will these work with an m20, or just with the m42? Are they a direct swap?
      I need to replace my motor mounts, and I assume these are beefier...

-Erik
      I don't believe this upgrade will work for an M20, sorry Erik. I think Ireland Eng. has some urethane motor mounts for fairly cheap for an M20 though, or check ebay for "AKG".

-Brandon

Comment

Awesome, I can't wait to take my 318i to thill but only once everything is in good working order. I have been to that track a couple times over the last few years ;) Great track and I can't wait to go again.

How were your brakes holding up, did you have any fade at all ?

Pic from my last track day in my previous car ;)

Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post

How were your brakes holding up, did you have any fade at all ?
          My brakes held up great. I had ATE Super Blue fluid and the pads did not fade all day long. I was being very hard on them, but my tires (and myself) were mostly the limiting factor. The Ultimates are perfect for novices.

-Brandon

Comment

Ultimates really are a great pad.

Awesome to hear an m42 story from the track! Keep it up. I need to get off my ass and get out there.
            Back to my roots

Comment

It really sucks about non-caged convertibles not being able to run on most road tracks. I really want to get out there. The most fun I ever had at an auto-x was one held on a racetrack with slalom's and chicanes in the straights to keep speeds down. It was way too much anyway.

'88 325is
              VP UT of Austin Autoholics
              BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC View Post
                It really sucks about non-caged convertibles not being able to run on most road tracks. I really want to get out there. The most fun I ever had at an auto-x was one held on a racetrack with slalom's and chicanes in the straights to keep speeds down. It was way too much anyway.
                Invest in at least a street rollbar. You will not regret it.

-Brandon

Comment

Working...
                X