Drifters, carts and a driving school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drifters, carts and a driving school

The BMW and Porsche clubs hosted a instructor clinic on sunday. The purpose of this to recruit candidates for the instructor program for both clubs. I was a first time candidate so I studied up, reading the instructor books from both Audi and the BMW clubs and asked Jen (wife unit) questions since she has been instructing for about 5 years.
    Geez - harder than it sounds. My two instructors (on purpose) drove bad, and did everything they could to make my day hard, but it was a lot of fun. I'll find out in a couple of days if I passed.

The local kart people had the track till 1. Those things are bloody fast! Really fun to watch if you ever get a chance.

The drifter group rented the main paddock. I think every Nissan 200 and 240 (plus 2 2001 imported Silva's) in the NW were in attendance. Cool to watch for about 15 minutes but then the squeal of tires got on my nerves and I was glad when we moved to the pro pits about 1/2 mile from them.
    Sorry, I didn't bring my camera so no pictures.
    Kind a cool way to spend a sunday (and margarita's after with a couple of instructors and Kolbe)

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM.

So what did they test you on?

Comment

Dennis talked about that a bit:

www.dpcars.net click on the Mini.

Comment

Sounds like fun. I'd do it but I guess never being on track with a RWD car would be a bad thing for those clubs.:shock:
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Bav3 - They take the wrong lines, make abrupt turns, don't down shift...you name it. The whole goal is to see how you react to certain situations and how to correct them. If you do this the most important thing to do is to be proactive and not reactive. Tell them to keep their eyes up, smooth inputs etc. If you have driven enough, you already know all this - it is a lot harder to put it into practice.

Josh - There are several people who don't own or drive BMW's (or RWD cars for that matter) that instruct with the clubs. The FWR/RWD/AWD lines are different, but the same principals apply.

Yes - Dennis was one of my mentors. Eddie N. (he drove a Honda up until this year) was the other.
          And yes - I just found out the I passed.

Instructor Keith at your service.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith M View Post

Josh - There are several people who don't own or drive BMW's (or RWD cars for that matter) that instruct with the clubs. The FWR/RWD/AWD lines are different, but the same principals apply.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. I just don't want to get stuck in a GT3 trying to tell a guy what to do with that car. Not that it would get that far of course.
            Good job on passing.
            I figure they have plenty of FWD instructors?
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Josh - If you are looking for some instruction, yes there are several regulars that drive FWD cars (Dennis drives a Mini, damn good driver).
              If you are looking to be an instructor - we can always use more.

As far as what car you get to instruct - I don't think it really matters. You are not trying to each how to get every little ounce of speed out of the car or how to drive a race line (as opposed to the school line). Send them home with better skills, a straight car and a big grim on their face.

K

Comment

Bav3 - They take the wrong lines, make abrupt turns, don't down shift...you name it. The whole goal is to see how you react to certain situations and how to correct them. If you do this the most important thing to do is to be proactive and not reactive. Tell them to keep their eyes up, smooth inputs etc. If you have driven enough, you already know all this - it is a lot harder to put it into practice.

Yes - Dennis was one of my mentors. Eddie N. (he drove a Honda up until this year) was the other.

Congrats Keith. I look forward to seeing you out on the track this season, but this years schedule is rough... not a lot of weekends (I can't just skip school now) and few days in April. I take it the e30 is track worthy? If you have had a chance to drive it on the track, how'd it feel?

Comment

Thanks Mark. I guess one of the advantages of being self employed is that I can attend tuesday track days.
                  As far as my car.....well, it runs. I was going to take it out for a session or two, but elected not to. ABS light is on, got a tick in the top end and a slight misfire. I going to try to sort it out before the Porsche day on the 24th.
                  How was TC? Did they talk you into joining up? You do get a sticker and a ultra cool red windbreaker.
                  :)

Keith

Comment

PS: most "cart" guys spell it "kart"
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I am working my way up the ladder. Hope to instruct for the Peachtree BMWCCA :)

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        PS: most "cart" guys spell it "kart"
                        Whoops. Can I change the thread title or have a mod do it?

Keith

Comment

No worries here - it kinda like someone calling your "bimmer" a "beamer"...

Just lots of eye rolling if they knew...Cart is used in reference to a kids toy, a "kart" is a racing kart. "karting" is the best form of racing out there (minimal risk, can get into for a lot less then anything else besides autocross)

Shifter karts can blow the doors off of anything street legal more or less. Best way to describe it is a motorcycle on 4 wheels that sits 1/2" off the ground...sums it up nicely.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Thanks Mark. I guess one of the advantages of being self employed is that I can attend tuesday track days.
                            As far as my car.....well, it runs. I was going to take it out for a session or two, but elected not to. ABS light is on, got a tick in the top end and a slight misfire. I going to try to sort it out before the Porsche day on the 24th.
                            How was TC? Did they talk you into joining up? You do get a sticker and a ultra cool red windbreaker.
                            :)

Keith
                            TC started out frustrating but got much better. In order to run their autox track, I ran the novice group and the first session out I didn't even get a clean half a lap. The remainder of the sessions, I was able to start out at the front of the pack and get tons of clean track time. The last two sessions I had the gas pedal to the floor pre-apex in turn 12, which I hadn't done before. Either I am getting better or my car is losing power ;) It takes a lot of balls... with the tire wall right there. My car felt great after installing a 25mm front sway bar. I use to push at the entry into 5, but I had no problems at all.

They didn't talk me into joining up, but definitely tried to get me to go racing.

I tried to sign up for the April 6th ACA day, but intermediate is full. I'd love to run advanced, but half the fun of these track days is getting advice from those with more experience than you. Instructors run in the advanced group, correct?

Good luck sorting out the car. I hope to hear and see it soon!
                            Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X