Cone addiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cone addiction?

Ive participated in my share of auto-xes in a variety of different cars. Ive completed 2 out of 3 phases of the Evolution Auto-x school. Ive had the privelege to have shared my car and to have driven with national level auto-xers. I was even reasonably good in CSP with my slightly modifed Z3 racing against gutted Miatas and MR2s.

Despite all that, auto-xing never really took a hold of me. Perhaps its waiting all day in a parking lot to get at most 6 minutes of seat time. Perhaps its the fact that I can get several hours worth of seat time at a drivers school.

Now, I do think that auto-x skills and track skills complement one another. I usually auto-x when I need to get a feel for a cars extreme limits.

Other than that I dont hit the pavement anymore.

But the itch remains, lurking in my subconcious, waiting for for an oppotunity to be scratched.

There I am, driving down the highway or road. Auto-x totaly not on my mind. Heck I could even be talking to my wife about our new baby and then it will hit me. I will get momentarily quiet and I look. My wife notices this. We are approaching a construction site or line painting project. I see the orange sea of cones. I know my hands want to move the wheel. I can feel it. My mind sees an impromtu course and sharpens itself for action. Action I have never acted upon except once.

My wife, then grilfriend, vacationed in central Maine (Millenocket) several years ago. We decided we wanted to head south and visit Bangor. I got on to the higway in a rental Startus and was immediately faced with a row of cones and those orange traffic barrels, perfectly spaced for what seems a few hundred yards, seperating the right and left lanes. I looked at my GF, checked my mirrors, let my impules take over and dived for the cones. A few cones later I got back into the fast lane, with a BIG grin.

So even though I dont really auto-x anymore the sum of all that I have learned about auto-x manifest itself as an impulse to willingly dive into a sea of cones.

Supressed cone addition??

Zee Herr Doktor haz diagnozed you wit zee dizeaze of Automobiliaenthusista.
    One who haz abnormal attraction to zee auto and itz handling characteristics.

Zee only cure: Expand zee Racing Budget :twisted:
    Below the radar...

Comment

I am a novice @ approx 6 auto-x's to date. 3 when my e30 had no susp. mods, 1 with subtle motor mods and 1 in my stock 97 Maxima. My last auto-x with the GC was really horrible as I didn't walk the course, wasn't used to the Susp. quite yet but still had a blast :D

Its the lack of $$ and work that prevents me from doing track time. Back in the day it was school and $$... I now settle for reading articles, asking questions, talking to experienced auto-xers and simply trying to improve my own skills with tactis that I attempt to try out. Its not easy since there is no one ever with me in the car to give an opinion but I measure my speed, smoothness, lines and determine from many other variables whether or not I am getting better.

I have done "fake" slaloms on the Garden State Parkway, I - 95, Rte 17 etc.

Last time I did the slalom was this week on RTE 206 with the newly opened lanes and the orange barrels were too tempting to resist....needless to say I think I over-did it as people were looking at me like I was crazy and I have decided not to do it in public again since there are often cops around with construction workers...

I prefer my late night and dawn driving to 'adrenalin rush" fake slaloms...easier to justify

Comment

I hear ya Mario.

I was coming back from St. Louis from BMW's Gateway Tech event on I-40. My sister was in my car and my dad was behind me in the 740. The roads were slightly damp and cold, but I approached those "cat in the hat" cones, spaced nicely. I was tempted to do it so I did. Went well, but the skinny 195's proved to slide the rear end a bit on the last few, so I got back in the open lane.

My dad passed me shaking his head and then grinned. :D

You arn't the only one man :)

Comment

Originally posted by unhcll
          Zee Herr Doktor haz diagnozed you wit zee dizeaze of Automobiliaenthusista. One who haz abnormal attraction to zee auto and itz handling characteristics.

Zee only cure: Expand zee Racing Budget
          Herr Doktor, can you write me a prescription for that. :D

Originally posted by e9nine
          Last time I did the slalom was this week on RTE 206 with the newly opened lanes and the orange barrels were too tempting to resist....needless to say I think I over-did it as people were looking at me like I was crazy and I have decided not to do it in public again since there are often cops around with construction workers...
          Where on 206? The new sections by the Duke Estate or coming up on raritan?I

Stu,

you dad strikes me as a pretty cool fellow.

Comment

Originally posted by TIATO
            Where on 206? The new sections by the Duke Estate?I
            Bingo 8)

Comment

HAHAHA - just watch out for those Hillsborough cops.

You know, there are some decent roads between Hillsborough and Flemington. Even a few right off 206. Dukes parkway is a fun little road. Ever have a chance to check them out?

Comment

Herr Doktor, can you write me a prescription for that. :D
                For the most severe cases:
                Divorce, Sell house, work 60+ hours a week, live on Pasta PB&J and Ramen Noodles, spend countless hours wrenching to make the tinyest suspension change, spend all w/e stuying the affects.

Less severe cases:
                Open secret bank account, come up with "Maitenance repairs (UUC at its best), "forget" birthdays, christmas, mothers day, Anniversaries..... Disapear all w/e to be with gear heads and gasoline.

:shock:
                Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL

Less severe cases:
                  Open secret bank account, come up with "Maitenance repairs (UUC at its best), "forget" birthdays, christmas, mothers day, Anniversaries..... Disapear all w/e to be with gear heads and gasoline.

:shock:
                  I'm not even married and this has already started. :twisted:

-Charlie
                  Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                  '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                  FYYFF

Comment

HAHAHA - just watch out for those Hillsborough cops.

You know, there are some decent roads between Hillsborough and Flemington. Even a few right off 206. Dukes parkway is a fun little road. Ever have a chance to check them out?
                    yeah...I heard they're not the nicest..almost crapped my self while nailing Dukes Parkway west one day. I had the perfect line around a turn only to see a cruiser coming towards me :shock: ... I braked hard as hell and was lucky enough to catch a green light onto 206...there were a few cars infront and behind of him with some cars further behind me so I was kinda covered...

I love the Parkway past Roycefield Road heading towards the CVS.. nice turns..

A right onto Roycfiled heading towards the bridge also has a nice right turn and a super tight left turn

Triangle road off 206 (or right off Roycefield) has a nice tight right hander and a cambered left sweeper over some railroad tracks 8)

Please PM me the other roads you know of, I am always eager to explore them after work so I can come back over the w/end for some casual fun

Comment

When we had the carnival in town me and my friend were cruising... then all of a sudden we come up to about 1 mile of cones, 4 lanes of cones, all equally spaced... we slalomed all the way down lane 1, all the way back up lane 2, back down 3, and up 4...

2 times in a row :P
                      Never been to a real auto-x though.

Comment

Working...
                      X