Wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearings?

What kind of wear to the front bearings are you guys experiencing? It's been about a year since I put on the big brakes and started running wide R-comps and both my front wheelbearings which were replaced 10 months ago are pretty bad.

Is there any special care that can keep them in good shape longer? Any particular brand of bearing that lasts better than others?

OEM wheels and going slow! Not being a wise ass, but that's the way it is with bigger offsets and suspension loads.

Comment

Mine usually last about 2 years, but I only drive the car to and from events, and run about 15-20 autoxes per year. Running 225/50/15s til now, going to the 275s next year.

Comment

That's part of the payoff for going with r-comps... increased wear on all suspension components. Plan on replacing LCA and other bushings almost once a year as well depending on how may event you do a year.
        Stacy (Stack) King - HPDE Co-Chairman - Triangle Z Club / Tarheel Sports Car Club
        North Carolina

Comment

Make sure both the inner and outer dust shields are in place. Other than that, not much you can do. Luckily they're cake to replace.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

Don't laugh but the company FAG in germany makes excellent wheel bearings. Becaues in and sort of drag or race the bak get more wear then front, when the car moves sie to side. FAG makes a high density ring on the outsie, and they only cost about 36 bucks a pop

Comment

m3 struts
              sigpic

Comment

I change all mine once a season now that I sometimes run slicks, when I had a street e30 I did them the front once a year and rears every 2 when I did de's.

Comment

replacing the grease on the new ones you install with a good synthetic wheel bearing grease will help.

Comment

Increasing the torque/preload will help longevity quit a bit. Also as stated above synthetic grease will help but don't over pack them, over packing creates a bunch of extra heat and that causes more wear and when the extra grease purges past the seals it can damn near empty it (will not settle at the proper amount).

Clean out the factory crap and put in 1/3rd the bearings capacity, evenly spread with all surfaces coated.

On the torque/preload, you'll just have to try adding more and find a torque that still allows free spin.

Comment

I picked up the SKF front wheel hubs from bimmerparts.com. Are these bearing prepacked with grease? They appear to be sealed bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew-mayhem View Post
                        Don't laugh but the company FAG in germany makes excellent wheel bearings. Becaues in and sort of drag or race the bak get more wear then front, when the car moves sie to side. FAG makes a high density ring on the outsie, and they only cost about 36 bucks a pop
                        So, the front bearings are sold separately ( w/o hub) ?
                        I thought they are 1 piece together ,
                        but i really hope they are removable, so i just buy the bearings only :)
                        http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Originally posted by drift View Post
                          So, the front bearings are sold separately ( w/o hub) ?
                          I thought they are 1 piece together ,
                          but i really hope they are removable, so i just buy the bearings only :)
                          No, they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                            No, they are not.
                            Some have told me that the front bearings can be purchased without the hub. Others have told me differently.

Who's right?

Comment

ben you're an idiot
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X