Tint ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tint ?

This might be an iffy topic, but how many of you guys that autocross or track have tinted windows ? I've seen some very quick/fast cars/drivers that were both tinted and not over the years. I've been told by HPDE instructors not to do it, but with 100+ degrees outside and no a/c I could use all the help I could so I am thinking about it.

I also think tint would hide the roll cage that otherwise would attract too much unwanted attention ...

Thoughts ?
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

I just do not see where it will help you in your case. Tint mainly helps to recool the interior with the A/C and without A/C it still gets just as hot in the car.

Comment

Get a Cool Suit... Works lots better than tint and won't affect your vison.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

People say it keeps their car cooler but I don't think it's a noticeable difference
        Recent Rebranding!!
        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
        Instagram.com/garageaholic
        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Cool suit from what I read is good for about 15 minutes, so I would have to pit and add ice etc...not worth the price and hassle imho ?

It wouldn't be my first tinted car or anything like that, this is more of a question about tinting cars that are autocrossed on regular basis (here I don't see a problem as most of the time you are only looking ahead). In HPDE you do want clear side/rear view vision and my previous car that I tracked a few times was not tinted so I don't know how big of a problem it would be ?
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            Cool suit from what I read is good for about 15 minutes, so I would have to pit and add ice etc...not worth the price and hassle imho ?

It wouldn't be my first tinted car or anything like that, this is more of a question about tinting cars that are autocrossed on regular basis (here I don't see a problem as most of the time you are only looking ahead). In HPDE you do want clear side/rear view vision and my previous car that I tracked a few times was not tinted so I don't know how big of a problem it would be ?

My cool suit lasts about 2-4 hours depending on if I leave the cooler in the car or put it in the shade between sessions.

For auto-x and DE you "can" do tint but IMO it's dangerous on track. It hinders the drivers vision and it makes it difficult for other drivers to clearly see you and through your car.

Comment

This past weekend a bag of ice lasted all day in close to 90 temps at CMP (four 25 minute sessions). I've got a 24qt Club system and there was a good bit of ice left to dump out at the end of the day. The car is black and I left the cooler in the car (mounted in the trunk) all day.

The system is so nice that I'm seriously considering getting a second one and setting it up with gel cells for when I'm sitting around waiting for the next session. That would provide a full set of spares and the cooler can double as a place to chill Gatoraide & water...
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                This past weekend a bag of ice lasted all day in close to 90 temps at CMP (four 25 minute sessions). I've got a 24qt Club system and there was a good bit of ice left to dump out at the end of the day. The car is black and I left the cooler in the car (mounted in the trunk) all day.

The system is so nice that I'm seriously considering getting a second one and setting it up with gel cells for when I'm sitting around waiting for the next session. That would provide a full set of spares and the cooler can double as a place to chill Gatoraide & water...
                Are you running the cool suit or cool shirt? Mine is only 16 quarts but it gets the job done with 2+ hours of actual run time, the water stays cold all day.

Have you seen the portable bag that cool shirt sells? Wonder how hard that would be to make work with a cool suit system?

Comment

Tint for auto-x would be perfectly fine .

I live in texas and you better believe my cars are tinted .
                  I've had several cars out on course over the years and its never been a problem .
                  We even have the occasional night event and its not a problem .

In auto -x there is no body coming from behind or trying to pass and like you said you are mainly looking ahead through the windshield plus the front side windows would be down as well .

I could see that for DE's or actual track events it might have the potential to reduce rearward visibility .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I don't do it out of respect for cops and I don't want to get shot for nothing.:shock:

I also don't see it making all that much difference with heat.

I'd like the car behind me on track to be able to see as much as possible.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Tint is good to hide the inside, but you cant sacrifice your vision on the track, you need to see everything. I think tint is mostly for comutor cars and daily drivers. Maybe I am wrong?

Comment

well naturaly you'll probably be able to see best without it but unless your racing in the dark it probably wont matter much, it also helps alot to block out the heat from the sunlight
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

when autocrossing they will usually ask you to roll your windows down anyway.
                          R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
                            when autocrossing they will usually ask you to roll your windows down anyway.
                            +1

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                            In auto -x there is no body coming from behind or trying to pass and like you said you are mainly looking ahead through the windshield plus the front side windows would be down as well .

Pretty much any driving event you will have to have your front side windows down anyway .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                            X