Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well will a stock salvage yard M20B25 stand up to race track usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well will a stock salvage yard M20B25 stand up to race track usage?

I need to either rebuild or replace my M20B25 motor for use on road racing tracks. I'm looking at various alternatives. A good local shop can completely rebuild the motor for $2000 (top and bottom, including new Mahle pistons). I'm assuming that this motor will last for a while and be able to take track abuse with almost everything being new inside.

Alternatively, I can find decent (good compression & leakdown) motors for about $500-$600 at local salvage yards.

My concern is how well a 17-20 year old salvage yard engine can stand up to track usage. As a PM, I'd replace the timing belt and water pump before installing such engine. But should I expect to blow a head gasket or break a rocker arm within a few months or have people here had good luck with these motors?

I'm willing to pay an extra $1500 for an engine that will last for 2-3 seasons without any major issues. That makes the rebuild attractive to me. But if a salvage yard engine can last almost as long, then I'd hate to spend that money when it can be used elsewhere.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts and experiences that racers/track guys have had. Thanks for any feedback!

m20's

many spec e30 racers run 150k salvage motors w/ some freshening...w/ no probs. You should not worry.
    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I know of one Spec E30 racer with a 272K engine that's doing quite well...

If the engine has good compression, leakdown, and oil pressure numbers I'd say to just run it.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

My SpecE30 has over 200K and the engine screams. Compression is 160-170 in each of the cylinders. I agree with jlevie; if it has good compression, run it. These engines are pretty bullet proof.

Comment

There is a guy local to me that owns a salvage yard and tracks nothing but salvage yard motors. I just heard about him yesturday. Apparently he just freshens the motors a bit, and then runs them until they die.

Sounds like a plan, except I hate the idea of destroying an M20. Oh well at least they go out properly, if there is such a thing as an M20 going out properly..

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
            There is a guy local to me that owns a salvage yard and tracks nothing but salvage yard motors. I just heard about him yesturday. Apparently he just freshens the motors a bit, and then runs them until they die.

Sounds like a plan, except I hate the idea of destroying an M20. Oh well at least they go out properly, if there is such a thing as an M20 going out properly..
            "Better to burn out than to rust away" - Neil Young

I think I'm just going to refresh my old engine. It's got a cam in it and really only needs rings, bearings, water pump, t-belt, gaskets, etc. Not a $2000 rebuild but it should bring some life back to the engine.

I just completed a cost-benefit trade study and came to the conclusion that I'll get the most bang for the buck by refreshing the current engine.

Comment

dude.......

you are thinking WAY to much bout this.

Comment

LOL! I agree.

You should see my trade study spreadsheet. I'm such a nerd!

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan View Post
                dude.......

you are thinking WAY to much bout this.

Comment

yeah should be fine..just do a new cambelt/water pump/cooling system stuff and she should be fine..a compression test can help put your mind at ease too hopefully..i have seen an m20 rev limited for about 3 mins at least in 1st...gave me a lot of faith in them! of course, i have also had one that was badly adjusted drop a valve into the cylinder..
                  JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

m20's

I was beating her at the track just yesterday........5k-68k all day....she sounds fine. I see 7k at times w/ my markD chip........that red mist is a killer......

Comment

Joel, is that the covered wooden bridge in Lime Rock, CT? That looks vaguely familiar. I grew up in CT and have visited LRP more than a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackAddict View Post
                        Joel, is that the covered wooden bridge in Lime Rock, CT? That looks vaguely familiar. I grew up in CT and have visited LRP more than a few times.

yes!!!,..good call. We always go to the MOOSE after a track day...........................great country!

Comment

Originally posted by TrackAddict View Post
                          I grew up in CT and have visited LRP more than a few times.
                          I'm a former victim/escapee of Wallyworld, CT..

LRP is still my favorite, stopped by last month during the week while on my way from the shore to upstate NY for forced family fun..

Comment

Alright, now you guys are making me homesick, LOL!

Cooper, I grew up in Berlin not far from Wallyworld. Small world.

These days, I live in the desert. I really miss forests and trees and that green stuff on the ground.

Comment

LOL, I spent 13 years in Phoenix, I'm over it. Last two winters in Indy I was playing out in the snow every chance I got,hadn't seen that shit in so long..

Raking leaves still sucks though..;)

BTW, I will be doing the used "race motor" deal as well with my e30.. Did the same deal years ago with my ITB GTi.. I have more faith in the 325 motor but the GTi never gave me any problems and was more than competitive.. Header, air filter and exhaust will wake the pig up and then you do what you can when you can afford it.. :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X