Weird scraping/clunking noise when turning left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird scraping/clunking noise when turning left

Hey guys, I finally got my E30 race car on the track. I'm very impressed with it but noticed that during hard left turns I can hear scraping and clunking noises coming from the right rear wheel. The clunking is almost rythmic but goes away once I start to straighten out. It almost sounds like a tire rubbing and the car riding on the bumpstops but I see no evidence of rubbing on the tires. It did get worse as the day went on and I could feel the "drag" of the right rear wheel slow the car down more than what you'd expect in a turn. Steering feels fine and the car handles well. No bad manners.

Does this sound familiar to anyone one? I plan on putting the car on a lift this Tuesday but would like to have an idea what the problem might be. Thanks for any insight.

Wheel bearing, half-shaft, or diff. You should be able to figure out what's wrong with the car on a lift.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      Wheel bearing, half-shaft, or diff. You should be able to figure out what's wrong with the car on a lift.
      I'm thinking wheel bearing or CV joint. I'll put her on a lift tomorrow. Here's a short movie clip of the car making a left turn.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
      X