So in my quest to build a SM car....REMOVE EVERYTHING

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jlevie
    replied
    Originally posted by DSP74
    Thanks a bunch!


    Two quick questions. Do you know what is the CFM of the stock aux fan? And do you know offhand what the outside diameter is? I'm wondering how it compares to a Tauras fan.....I pulled one of the GF's car when it got totaled.
    I'm thinking of using these mounts for that fan IF it moves more CFM.....

    I'd try to go measure mine but I'd have to shovel a path to the garage since we got about 8" of snow last night.....
    Based on current draw and its effectiveness compared to a 1400cfm and a 2300cfm fan, I'd guess on about 1800cfm.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    Don't have that info on hand, sorry. Next weekend I might though, as I still need to fix the radiator and I'll then be able to measure it for you (diameter).

    Leave a comment:


  • DSP74
    replied
    THANKS for the interior shots....Don't know if it's just for me, but the carpet pictures aren't showing up. Just red X's.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike B.
    replied
    Here are a couple shots of the lightweight carpet (charcoal gray):





    I have a little bit of roll bar work to finish up, then the carpet goes in. I'll post some pics of the finished product.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike B.
    replied
    Here are some interior pics of the sound deadening in a 318is. This is a bit more in the footwell of the passenger side (1 sqft), but it is was removed and covered with heat shield material.



    Leave a comment:


  • DSP74
    replied
    YES by all means post a picture without carpet!:up::bow:

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike B.
    replied
    I can take some shots of the interior without carpet for your reference.

    I am doing the carpet myself, but making templates as I go. I already have a source for the perlon felt and I'm not sure if I'm going to have the edges bound or not. I may put a couple pieces in to see what the seams look like first.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike B.
    replied
    Originally posted by DSP74
    I can't remove carpet or any of the sound deadening-unless other models didn't come with it stock.
    The 318is have almost no sound deadening under the carpet. There is some across the tunnel behind the e-brake, and some on the tunnel around the dash. That's about it.

    Can you replace the carpeting with different carpet? I am making a lightweight carpet kit similar to the Porsche 911 RS carpet kits (perlon felt). The full carpet set will weigh all of 5 to 7.5lbs when done and the interior will still have a finished off appearance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    Originally posted by DSP74
    I saw you posted pictures of that....Care to post the info on the fan brks again?
    Here you go , you'll need parts 4-13.

    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=17&fg=10

    Leave a comment:


  • DSP74
    replied
    I saw you posted pictures of that....Care to post the info on the fan brks again?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jean
    replied
    Under the dash, well maybe the a/c evaporator and the lines ? not very heavy. The a/c compressor under the hood and the condenser was most of the weight. I am using the a/c fan as the electrical fan, you can find oem bmw brackets to make it fit right infront of the radiator w/o using the a/c condenser.

    I am keeping PS though, I tried running w/o it and it was too much at low speeds and it's all low speeds/ tight corners in autox anyway ... my 2 cents.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    from what I understand, the sound deadening isn't all that heavy anyway. and later years didn't have trunk tar so you're safe there if it's considered part of that :p

    the ix's steering is quite a bit heavier - I never knew what everyone was talking about until I drove a 318is for a couple months.

    Leave a comment:


  • 91bimmahVA
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    anyone actually autox on a regular basis without a PS pump? I know std. E30s have really light steering, but that seems to me like it would suck on a tight/technical course.

    agreed on the seats - sport seats are more like 50lbs each!

    In all honesty I thought the same thing about the power steering at first, but Ive done 3 events w/out PS and love it. Its a much nicer feel through any corners at speed, and as long as your moving (even at 5 mph) youre good to go. Parallel parking is a different story tho...

    Id advise to remove your PS belt and give it shot, you can always throw it right back on. Overall its a nicer tighter feel than the light, somewhat sloppy powersteering.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    anyone actually autox on a regular basis without a PS pump? I know std. E30s have really light steering, but that seems to me like it would suck on a tight/technical course.

    agreed on the seats - sport seats are more like 50lbs each!

    Leave a comment:


  • jlevie
    replied
    Carpet, sound deadening material, sunroof cassette and mechanism, power steering pump, hood liner, rear seat parcel shelf is a surprising amount of weight. I'm of the opinion that a working heater core is worth the weight penalty just to have a defroster. And the OE seats are weighty items. replacing them with race seats is close to 40lb/seat.

    Leave a comment:

Working...