Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 vs other cars on limit

Hi people, my first post here!

I was reading an old magazine, there was a comparison test with E30 318, Volvo 240, Audi 80 etc... They said that while the E30 was a joy to drive, it was actually dangerous in extreme situations - tail snapped loose very quickly.

My question is: how do you think the E30 compares to other similar cars when on limit? Is it that unpredictable?

I've never driven an E30, but I'm considering buying one and I'm gathering some input.

Stock, the e30 will bite your ass if you're not careful. At full compression, the rear suspension likes to do it's best swingarm impersonation and give you some nice snap oversteer.

This can be dialed out somewhat with aftermarket springs & shocks, but not entirely.

That being said, the car is tons of fun.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

I have never had any tailhappy issues with E30s. I wouldn't put them in the same class as an early 911. I would think that its more driver dependant in an E30. You wouldn't be disappointed if you were to get one.

Comment

I have a 78 911SC and several Volvo 240 Turbos. The e30 is MUCH easier to drive than both of those. But any of the 3 would be a good pick. ;)
        -Patrick

Comment

Tervetuloa. Ma asuin suomessa kaksi vuotta. Mutte en ole kaynyt suomea kymmenen vuotta. Ma en puhu suomea hyvin enaa. Siis, ma kirjoittan englaneksi.

Go with the e30. They are great cars. You will absolutely love it. With good aftermarket shocks and struts the rear will stay planted. make sure the change the rear suspension bushings too. If they're worn, the rear will be loose. Just make sure to avoid trailing throttle oversteer, and you'll be fine.

Comment

The E30 is a very forgiving car to drive. The tail does have a tendency to step out, but it's very catchable. Nothing to worry about, it's even fun!! Just be very careful in the wet.
            -Ted

Comment

Or when the tires are cold. I had a bad experience yesterday.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

I dont think NA e30's are too hard to drive at the limit. I know for a fact mine is sometimes hard, especially in the rain. The only thing that would make the Volvo 240 better is if it had a LSD. My bro used to have one, and I hated the fact that it had no LSD (and no manual tranny). You can get 240's to be WICKED handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by matt325is
                  I dont think NA e30's are too hard to drive at the limit. I know for a fact mine is sometimes hard, especially in the rain. The only thing that would make the Volvo 240 better is if it had a LSD. My bro used to have one, and I hated the fact that it had no LSD (and no manual tranny). You can get 240's to be WICKED handlers.
                  Yes, you can get them to handle very well, but it takes a lot of parts to do it. At the same level of upgrades, the e30 owns the 240, and that's all there is to it.

This is coming from a die hard 240 guy also.

Aftermarket LSD's for 240's can be put in for around $500 parts and labor.

They did come in a manual tranny version and they are relatively easy to swap if you have an automatic.

Matt, your car looks SWEET in your sig! The intercooler makes it all that much better.
                  -Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by SlammedE30
                    The E30 is a very forgiving car to drive. The tail does have a tendency to step out, but it's very catchable. Nothing to worry about, it's even fun!! Just be very careful in the wet.
                    -Ted
                    I agree. When the tail steps - floor it and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by trent
                      Originally posted by SlammedE30
                      -Ted
                      I agree. When the tail steps - floor it and enjoy.
                      Amen.
                      -Can we add this smilie? :D
                      Below the radar...

Comment

the lsd in my 318 is like broken...how much would a used one run? anyone know of one for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by nickmpower
                          the lsd in my 318 is like broken...how much would a used one run? anyone know of one for sale?
                          They pop up every once and a while in the fs/wtb forum.

Usually around 100-300, sometimes people jsut want em out of their garage so they'll only charge you for shipping.

you sure you had an LSD to start with?
                          My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

yeah its a 91 318is so it should have one. I have driven a few cars with lsd's and i can defenitly tell its not working

Comment

Originally posted by nickmpower
                              yeah its a 91 318is so it should have one. I have driven a few cars with lsd's and i can defenitly tell its not working
                              bummer. Well, see my earlier post as where to get one.
                              My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X