Autocross with Euro manual rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autocross with Euro manual rack?

I am considering an upcoming SCCA autocross novice class, but my E30 has a manual steering rack from a Euro 318i, very slow and high effort. I am generally not able to get the car to turn quickly below highway speeds, am not a muscular guy, am I setting myself up for disaster? Just trying to avoid wasting my money, this is my first chance at instruction.

Thanks
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Drive the car man, even going slow you can learn the line, weight transfer, braking zones, all the basics.
    Any time spent in the seat isn't time or money wasted.
    I do things.

Comment

It will not be a waste of money for sure! it should be very do able. I also do not have power steering in my e30 and would not hesitate to do it! If you want to do an autocross event then do it a lot of the older cars out there do not have power steering
      New name lookin for a new car.

My last e30 and user name:
      Wannabe30
      89 s54 alpine white
      When I sold it:
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=358072

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was contemplating this class, then later in the day trying to navigate a cramped grocery store parking lot and wondered if I was nuts. :) I'll go for it once signup opens.
        sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

FWIW, I have P/S but the 2.7 rack.
          After a 2-day even my arms hurt like hell, but when the adrenaline is pumping during your run, you won't notice.

Also, it's nice to get a base line for if/when you do upgrade to P/S and a tighter rack.

I mean, who doesn't love a tight rack?
          I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

I mean, who doesn't love a tight rack?

"Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Moving your seat up and bringing the steering wheel closer to you will make it easier to turn.

Comment

I'm already pretty far forward, any more and I can't read my gauges well.

New concern is that my oil and trans leaks will make it through tech.

My wood Nardi steering wheel isn't going to help either, thin and slippery, poor grip.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                  I'm already pretty far forward, any more and I can't read my gauges well.
                  Not sure what gauges you really need to read for autocross.

New concern is that my oil and trans leaks will make it through tech.
                  Blast everything clean with brake cleaner the morning before you go. But if you cant make it through one day without drips forming then you shouldnt go. Its not fair to other drivers for you to leak on the track.

My wood Nardi steering wheel isn't going to help either, thin and slippery, poor grip.
                  Driving gloves can help with this.

Comment

I need to see the tach I would imagine, I tend to hit the limiter in 1st a lot when pushing this car, like its still making power up there. Either way, I would be so far forward at that point it would be awkward and uncomfortable. I imagine the instructors will let me know if there is an error in my positioning.

I don't know how long it could go before dripping after being cleaned up, its spotted up my driveway pretty good, waiting for my landlord to start bitching about it tbh. I think I fixed my primary oil leak this week (valve cover), but I still have a trans case seal leak, not an easy fix.

Are brick/mortar stores that sell driving gloves a thing? I have never tried or considered them.

Thanks for the info. I have ran a few events, but it was 20 years ago, in FWD cars, and I am quite intimidated. Don't know anyone into this stuff.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been running a manual rack in my car for years. Autocross will be fine with a manual rack and its much easier to turn when your at speed vs a parking lot. Most SD Autocross are set up for you to be using 2-3 gear the whole time. Hope to see you at the next event!

Comment

Working...
                      X