Spoilers for auto-x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers for auto-x

So Im running an 87 325is and Im looking to pick up any advantages possible to bump up to the next level and still have the E30 be able to compete in Street Mod. Ive noticed alot of the E36 M3's and such in SM have huge wings or some sort of spoiler on the back and I figure I would need to head that direction too.

Im looking more or less to make or find a lip style spoiler for the back similiar to that of the pre-car of tomorow nascar spoilers. Does anyone know of any good places to find any or would I be better off building my own?

I can't find any pictures to show an example but if someone does have a pic that would be a great help. Thanks
    sigpic

eBay is your friend. Srsly.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

spoilers might not have as huge effect in autox due to lack of speed. on the track yes it will make a difference. those e36 you saw are probably tracked as well.

1991 330is

Comment

for auto x you need a wing that'll have some effect under 40-50mph, smaller wings are useless and bigger ones well, give you wings. srsly, ebay may be your friend. splitters and diffusers is the other way of getting downforce
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

+1
          I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
          2875-C Towerview Road
          Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

I seriously doubt that any aero features you could add to the car will help at AutoX speeds. You'd gain more advantage by spending that money on sessions with a coach.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              I seriously doubt that any aero features you could add to the car will help at AutoX speeds. You'd gain more advantage by spending that money on sessions with a coach.
              I actually just ran the solo pro school and a local school and they all suggested running bigger events and I'll also be doing a few track days at VIR and Rockingham over the summer.

Its hard to explain what kind of spoiler I meant, I guess you could say its an extended IS lip that would be big enough to get some downforce but still look clean for street use
              sigpic

Comment

Go down a few posts, something like that? I'd just make it out something.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

yeah alot like that but Im trying to either find one or mold one thats like that but one solid peice.

but overall thats what Im talking about maybe shorter. do you know how they made that?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by APhelps89 View Post
                    yeah alot like that but Im trying to either find one or mold one thats like that but one solid peice.

but overall thats what Im talking about maybe shorter. do you know how they made that?
                    That's my old car, it's just 3/16" or 1/4" ABS plastic cut to fit and held on with sheetmetal screws. It would be worthless for auto-x though. You will likely need a huge wing that sits at or above the roofline.

With that setup my car was planted and very neutral on 50+ mph turns, and it oversteered on slower turns.

Comment

This would be so fuh-raze on an auto-x car!

Comment

Originally posted by APhelps89 View Post
                        I actually just ran the solo pro school and a local school and they all suggested running bigger events and I'll also be doing a few track days at VIR and Rockingham over the summer.

Its hard to explain what kind of spoiler I meant, I guess you could say its an extended IS lip that would be big enough to get some downforce but still look clean for street use
                        I suspect that you have to go to wing that is position at or slightly above the roof line to achieve noticeable benefits. At least that is what you see on pro race cars that have had the benefit of wind tunnel testing.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ive installed one of the bimmerworld carbon race wings on an e46, and let me just start by saying its massive. Google a pic, ill wait.

Now that youve seen that, aerotuning on that starts at 80, so im afraid that your quest is destined for nothing other than maximum fail.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                            Aero has been proven helpful in autox. The wing profile is completely different, though. You have to use an extreme high drag/high downforce wing. It's a profile that's pretty pretty horrible over about 45-50mph, but it's a huge advantage below.

We're talking BIG, though. Really big.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
                              Ive installed one of the bimmerworld carbon race wings on an e46, and let me just start by saying its massive. Google a pic, ill wait.

Now that youve seen that, aerotuning on that starts at 80, so im afraid that your quest is destined for nothing other than maximum fail.
                              Wrong profile for autox. And although it works below 80, it's far too small for this application.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...