This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyberkaa View Post
    I haven't tried to change the gasket with the diff still installed. Assuming you can get the cover off, it should be straightforward.
    You sure it's just the gasket and not one of the seals?
    I am absolutely 100% unsure.
    1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
    1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
    1974 2002tii / stock
    2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

You ever watch The Matrix? You remember when Agent Smith is interrogating Morpheus? Like that...it's the smell.
      Ha ha nicely put.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
        I am absolutely 100% unsure.
        Ok, awesome. :rofl:
        Dunno if you'd want to (or can) try to do the cover gasket with the diff still installed because you have to jack the front of the diff up a little to get the load off that rear bushing. If you're going through that much trouble already, I say remove it and you can check the seals, too. It'll be a heck of a lot easier to take the cover off, clean the mating surfaces, and put it back together right the first time anyway. You're already a pro at taking the drive shaft off of the diff. :rofl: Just gotta undo the axles and the three mounting bolts now.

Unless anyone else has some bright ideas?
        -Kalim

British Racing Green, IE Springs/Bilsteins, IE exhaust, IE SSK,
        Momo shift knob, Miller MAF conversion, K&N intake,
        Blackworks Aluminum Radiator, 5MT swapped,
        Ellipsoids w/DDM HIDs, OEM Recaro Sports, Momo Mod07 Wheel,
        Drilled+Slotted Rotors, Alpine HU/Amp/speakers, 12" enclosed sub

Comment

ummm would you guys say that the front seals (cam, intermediate, and crank) are better left to someone who knows what they are doing than someone who is just a DIY kind of person?
          ]

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
            ummm would you guys say that the front seals (cam, intermediate, and crank) are better left to someone who knows what they are doing than someone who is just a DIY kind of person?
            The camshaft seal is easy. If you know how to do a timing belt, it's just one more quick step to remove the sprocket (1 torx bolt), pop the flange out (2 bolts), change the o-ring, and press the seal.

Intermediate and crankshaft are two steps beyond the timing belt. They require removing the crank bolt, which is a major pain. Assuming you can do that, it's one more step to remove the timing cover, press the seals, and change the gasket.

I use big sockets (40-60mm range) and a bench vise to press the seals in/out. You might be able to find something else that fits, so measure up against the seals if you don't have a seal puller.
            -Kalim

Comment

The camshaft seal is easy. If you know how to do a timing belt, it's just one more quick step to remove the sprocket (1 torx bolt), pop the flange out (2 bolts), change the o-ring, and press the seal.

Intermediate and crankshaft are two steps beyond the timing belt. They require removing the crank bolt, which is a major pain. Assuming you can do that, it's one more step to remove the timing cover, press the seals, and change the gasket.

I use big sockets (40-60mm range) and a bench vise to press the seals in/out. You might be able to find something else that fits, so measure up against the seals if you don't have a seal puller.

thank you. im just debating on doing it myself with my limited amount of tools and paying someone to do it while replacing my water pump at the same time....
              ]

Comment

so who wants depo lights for $150??

call me for a good time (626)309-1771 9:45am to 6:30pm if you don't want to call contact me on aim its "swrmotorsports"

Comment

thank you. im just debating on doing it myself with my limited amount of tools and paying someone to do it while replacing my water pump at the same time....
                  How limited? I usually justify buying tools and doing it myself because I learn something that I can use to help someone else out (and maybe get paid for it, too, haha). Not only that, the tools become an asset. Unless you're making more by using your time to do something else, or just don't have the means to invest in tools, I say do it.
                  -Kalim

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                    What is the replacement vehicle going to be ben?
                    not sure yet, if this goes threw ill have a pretty decent budgets for my next car.

I was looking at this , but not sure how much i can low ball the guy lol

99 540i 6speed...

Comment

How limited? I usually justify buying tools and doing it myself because I learn something that I can use to help someone else out (and maybe get paid for it, too, haha). Not only that, the tools become an asset. Unless you're making more by using your time to do something else, or just don't have the means to invest in tools, I say do it.
                      you have a point. I like doing work and i have a set of tools that i can do the job with. Its just that i would hate to some how not place the seal in correctly and have to do everything again or have a worse leak in the end....i think im going to do it. hopefully its covered in the bentley
                      ]

Comment

Check for records of the ABS module being done or the coolant valley plate under the intake manifold being done too.;)
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

you have a point. I like doing work and i have a set of tools that i can do the job with. Its just that i would hate to some how not place the seal in correctly and have to do everything again or have a worse leak in the end....i think im going to do it. hopefully its covered in the bentley
                          That's more like it. :D
                          Bentley glosses over it, but that's because it's hard to screw the seals up. Just press the seals out without nicking anything and follow the recommendation on how deep to press the new ones in. Before you get started, read up on removing the crank bolt. Bentley talks about the OEM holding tool, but there are other ways to do it.

As for the water pump, just make sure that all traces of old gasket are cleaned off, tighten it down evenly, and test fill with a bit of coolant before you put the rest of the cooling system together. You can fill up all the way up to the thermostat housing, which is good enough to make sure there aren't big leaks. I highly recommend using RTV silicone when they give you a thin paper gasket.
                          -Kalim

Comment

Check for records of the ABS module being done or the coolant valley plate under the intake manifold being done too.;)
                            yea i know im not going to get that e39 , it is out of my budget.

i did how ever find a uber clean 96 325is for 2200 in Lb with 77k org miles, but then i saw the date ...feb 17th . i know that thing is gone by now.

Comment

ide have to look that up in the bentley because i have no idea what the valley plate is. haha
                              That's more like it. :D
                              Bentley glosses over it, but that's because it's hard to screw the seals up. Just press the seals out without nicking anything and follow the recommendation on how deep to press the new ones in. Before you get started, read up on removing the crank bolt. Bentley talks about the OEM holding tool, but there are other ways to do it.

As for the water pump, just make sure that all traces of old gasket are cleaned off, tighten it down evenly, and test fill with a bit of coolant before you put the rest of the cooling system together. You can fill up all the way up to the thermostat housing, which is good enough to make sure there aren't big leaks. I highly recommend using RTV silicone when they give you a thin paper gasket.
                              i just skimmed through the bentley for a couple of minutes and it dosent seem hard. Although ide have to take my time and read it up for sure. As far as pressing the new seals in i read that they should be pressed in a bit further than the ones the old ones and then siliconed etc etc.
                              ]

Comment

Sup!

Ben if you somehow get that e39 I MUST have the style *19's!!!!

Came up on my missing stared bolts and an OBC at the junkyard lol Payed $21 for the turn signal stalk and the OBC came with it free ;) hehe

Let the e30 work resume!
                                Last edited by nickflic3; 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM.
                                Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
                                Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
                                Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                                Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Working...
                                X