Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some help in the Bay Area

Hi all,
    I moved down to San Francisco from Seattle in my '91 E30 318is and had some drivetrain trouble around Bodega Bay. Good news is that I had just signed up for 100mi free towing with AAA but the bad news is that something between the engine and the rear wheels is in need of some attention. I haven't been able to get under the car yet so it's all guesswork at this point. At least most of the drive was turny and fun:-)

I'm new to the Bay Area and don't have any garage space at the moment. I was hoping to connect with the local owners to see if anyone has some space I can use to check the car out and fix whatever needs fixing, which may potentially include--but hopefully not--pulling the engine to get at the transmission and clutch. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks a lot
    Ben

Some more info I posted over at m42club:

I don't have a whole lot on the symptoms yet but the basic problem is that I had a sudden loss of power going from the engine to the rear wheels, which happened downshifting to head up a hill. I can't lift up the rear of the car--it's parked on a hill--so I can't tell if the driveshaft is spinning but my guess is no because I can usually hear the transmission spinning, even in neutral, and it's a little too silent at the moment. Clutch pedal seems springy and the engine is running fine otherwise. No unusual noises.

So I'm guessing it's the clutch but I'm not sure what the issue might be because it would be stuck open (no power to the trans) and I don't know what would cause that. Do slave cylinders get stuck open like that? Any chance of a pressure plate working itself loose? Anything easy to test/fix?

Here's a little background:
    Just replaced the engine over the summer with a used one--didn't do a rebuild but took it apart and looked everything over, replacing all the seals and the thrust bearing in the process. Put it all back together and replaced the center bearing while I was at it. Clutch had plenty of life left (based on measuring the thickness of the disk) so I didn't do anything to it, which might have been a terrible mistake...but hopefully not. Guibo looked fine but there's always a chance something happened to it on the drive down south, seeing as I wasn't exactly taking it easy.

Yeah, people can't even find parking on the street in SF I'm not sure if anyone would even have garage space.

Get it towed up to Guerneville and you can use my detached garage.

Comment

Well, I do have that awesome AAA 100mi towing window. Happen to have the tools to pull the engine if that's what it comes to?

Comment

storage unit like a bawse. then rent the equipment/tools as needed.

Comment

haha, I'm pretty over pulling engines in tight spaces...just finished doing that and feel no need to try again for a little while

Comment

Working...
          X