This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    I did check to see that all the gears were rotating properly, but I neglected to see if they were actually operating the numbers. I'll pull the cluster again tomorrw and double check.
    Thats what I figured. Look closely at the numbers on the odometer as you "gingerly" turn the gears by hand. Since its really just a gear reduction box then the odo should ever so slowly increment the numbers higher as you turn the gears.

Look for a gear or gears that do not have their teeth meshing into the adjoining gear that it rotates.

Comment

canibeat tonight!

Comment

anyone interested in a 74 2002? my friend is thinking of selling his.. it's green, borked motor but straight body and otherwise stock.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Ordered LED for license plate lights then LED for euro smiley DRL's let's see how this goes

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
            Thats what I figured. Look closely at the numbers on the odometer as you "gingerly" turn the gears by hand. Since its really just a gear reduction box then the odo should ever so slowly increment the numbers higher as you turn the gears.

Look for a gear or gears that do not have their teeth meshing into the adjoining gear that it rotates.
            I just checked them, the gears are meshing fine and they are operating the odometer and the trip meter. Does that mean that the motor that operates them is burned out?
            sigpic

Comment

It could be that the cover for the motor is too tight. Back the screws that hold it on, out half a turn and see if that helps. Mine didn't work when I redid the gears, then it would work for a mile or two, then 5, then 20, and now it seems to work fine, I backed the cover screws off a little bit and it seems to have fixed it, but I haven't gone anywhere that is further than 50 miles in each direction to verify this lately however.

Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Possibly!

I suspect incorrect connections as you mentioned that you had one wire that you could not connect properly as you did not know the location.

Check the following fuses: 10 , 12, 21, and 27. All are 7.5 amp with the exception of # 27 which is 30 amp.

Check to see that you did not blow a fuse or fuses.

The fuses I pointed out supply the cluster and related circuits.

Also, here is the link to the ETM for your year and model.

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

It also covers the 1991 vert.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                  It could be that the cover for the motor is too tight. Back the screws that hold it on, out half a turn and see if that helps. Mine didn't work when I redid the gears, then it would work for a mile or two, then 5, then 20, and now it seems to work fine, I backed the cover screws off a little bit and it seems to have fixed it, but I haven't gone anywhere that is further than 50 miles in each direction to verify this lately however.

Will
                  Originally posted by e30vert View Post
                  Possibly!

I suspect incorrect connections as you mentioned that you had one wire that you could not connect properly as you did not know the location.

Check the following fuses: 10 , 12, 21, and 27. All are 7.5 amp with the exception of # 27 which is 30 amp.

Check to see that you did not blow a fuse or fuses.

The fuses I pointed out supply the cluster and related circuits.

Also, here is the link to the ETM for your year and model.

It also covers the 1991 vert.
                  Checked both of these, turned out the cover was too tight. Thanks guys!
                  sigpic

Comment

Whoo Hoo! Good going!

Comment

[ATTACH]73669[/ATTACH]

Comment

damn i keep forgetting about that friday night meet that you guys have going.
                        maybe next time.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Hahaha who owns that black s50 swapped e30 late model 2 door in the bay?
                          My friend who works at the state ref in alameda said it got banned

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                            anyone interested in a 74 2002? my friend is thinking of selling his.. it's green, borked motor but straight body and otherwise stock.
                            How much?

Comment

Who in the peninsula saw that plan crash?

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                                How much?
                                I'll ask and shoot you a txt
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X