This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    got a phone interview for a big investment management firm in SF tmw but I have the flu.

suggestions?
    Show up (virtually). Let them know, but don't make it out to be more than the flu.

Know something about the company, checked linked in for the company and the persons you are interviewing with. See if you know anybody connected to the interviewer. Hit Glassdoor too.

Know the job. Read the job description. Be prepared to respond.

There are great interview prep tools out there on all the career sites with good general advise.

What firm? Hit me off line if you don't want disclose - I may know some people.

Most importantly, be yourself and act natural, take a moment to pause before you answer to formulate your answer. Unless of course, if you are a total ass hat, then be someone better than you are.
    1971 2002 -- 1975 525 -- 1987 535is -- 2002 M5 -- 2006 x3 msport 6mt

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
      OMFG something weird is going down with my engine... SO. When I try and turn it over normally, it just coughs and dies. You all saw the video, HOWEVER, when i tried to compression test it (took out the fuel pump relay and compression tester in cylinder 1) it started right up. weird. OKAY. Put everything back together and same thing as before cough die. Take out the relay again and bam starts up. wtf. Seems like it's pumping too much fuel into the cylinders and is flooding it when it is trying to start, thus making it die....
      if there is excess fuel flooding the cylinders, be vary careful cranking the motor over and over. the fuel will wash the cylinder walls of oil and you can fry your piston rings pretty easily. something is not wired correctly for sure.
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
        if there is excess fuel flooding the cylinders, be vary careful cranking the motor over and over. the fuel will wash the cylinder walls of oil and you can fry your piston rings pretty easily. something is not wired correctly for sure.
        Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? it's hooked up with that hose coming from the underside of the manifold, which i thought way right, but could be wrong...

Feedback!
        Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
        Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
          Not really, but what are you studying? I'm thinking finance/marketing/economics...but idk. What's a good degree to get a good job?
          Originally posted by Steven View Post
          go in undeclared and figure out what you want to do later..
          With how the job market is now, and with how many people have their bachelor's degrees, I would have a plan before paying the big bucks to go the school. I would not go in undeclared anymore, its too expensive and really does take away from acquiring the best education for your money. If youre unsure, then look into the city college route and make the transfer when youre ready. Set a goal, keep up on your pre-reqs and needed core classes. Colleges are so impacted these days. I graduated from UCSB during the time when enrollment was exceeding total lecture spots in the classrooms. At 28k/ year, its not the time to figure out what you might want to do...

My advice, coming from someone who did 5 years at UCSB, do the city college thing first. Classes are so much easier (aside from engineering and computer courses), so not only do you save money, you have a higher GPA. If you enjoy engineering or computer science, Id say go that route. Out of all of my friends with UC/CSU degrees, its those that have majors in comp science/ engineering that make the money out of school. All other majors, you really need to continue your education and get a master's degree to land a great job. It seems that biology, psychology, and business degrees are a dime a dozen these days, makes it hard to market yourself in a unique way when all your competitors have the same assets listed on their resumes.

Im finishing my second degree now to land a job. Ive been through it, and again if I could do it all over I would have saved money and time and gone to CC then transferred. For what its worth my path was UCSB to dental hygiene school to (eventually, once I finish hygiene) dental school after. I could have cut 100k off my loans had I planned it better and not gone straight to UCSB to figure things out along the way.

Good luck!
          -Ryan
          05/87 Henna M3
          04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
            nate dont get a bigger tv. no one cares about the game. and 4k is around the corner of being affordable
            Eric, you bringing the wifey? Want to invite gf, but not to a sausage-fest.
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
              Not really, but what are you studying? I'm thinking finance/marketing/economics...but idk. What's a good degree to get a good job?
              hey LBV.

here are a few notes in regards to your questions. finance, econ, and marketing are all very different fields of study. Econ is by far the most quantitative out of the bunch. Personally, I feel that if I knew this at the time when I applied to school (just over 3 years ago, wow!), that I would have gone the finance route. Calculus was never one of my strong points, so I struggled for a bit, and actually happen to be in my very last calc class this quarter. :roll:

Marketing is also really cool stuff. I'm currently taking a marketing/product mgt. course for my business minor (closest thing to bus/finance @ UCSD..and almost every other UC in the system).

In terms of outright employ-ability, I think that it usually goes econ>finance>marketing, since econ grads are usually the most adept at quantitative analysis, and that usually resonates in some of the most competitive professions in the industry.

All that aside, I think that the topics covered in a lot of my econ courses are pretty damn interesting. But when it comes down it to it, it's up to you to judge your strengths/skills and just go for it. All of those majors have a lot of value in today's job market.

Sina

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Ball sack.

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                  Eric, you bringing the wifey? Want to invite gf, but not to a sausage-fest.
                  na. i love a sausage fest
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                    na. i love a sausage fest
                    damn, was hoping to spend my only day off with her- oh well, i'll see her at night.

someone text me when you guys go out for bier the night before. i'll be around SF working.
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                      hey LBV.

here are a few notes in regards to your questions. finance, econ, and marketing are all very different fields of study. Econ is by far the most quantitative out of the bunch. Personally, I feel that if I knew this at the time when I applied to school (just over 3 years ago, wow!), that I would have gone the finance route. Calculus was never one of my strong points, so I struggled for a bit, and actually happen to be in my very last calc class this quarter. :roll:

Marketing is also really cool stuff. I'm currently taking a marketing/product mgt. course for my business minor (closest thing to bus/finance @ UCSD..and almost every other UC in the system).

In terms of outright employ-ability, I think that it usually goes econ>finance>marketing, since econ grads are usually the most adept at quantitative analysis, and that usually resonates in some of the most competitive professions in the industry.

All that aside, I think that the topics covered in a lot of my econ courses are pretty damn interesting. But when it comes down it to it, it's up to you to judge your strengths/skills and just go for it. All of those majors have a lot of value in today's job market.

Sina
                      Thanks man. I can't believe I'm about to go to college. I've been on this forum since you were in high school. I'm really leaning towards business, probably an advanced degree like a masters. Realistically I want something that'll be valuable but at the same time not as difficult as engineering. Econ seems kinda cool, lots of math, but oh well. Part of me wants to do something like mechanical engineering which would be cool as hell...but given my experience in school this far I'd rather succeed at something easier than do not so great at a really difficult subject.
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Decay, should i get a colder t-stat? like 80*? I'm gonna go back to a yard and get the right fan. I found the ones you're talking about on at least 5 different cars, but I didn't have torx's with me to get it off.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Haven't done the t-stat or the temp switch myself, was recommending the latter out of caution.

I idle a lot in SF traffic these days. Fan kicks on when the temp gets high enough (halfway between 1/2 and 3/4), and back off in about 10 seconds. That happens about once per minute if I'm just sitting there with no airflow from motion.

Might as well test the same in your driveway before spending any more money.
                          past:
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:

Comment

Junkyard without proper metric tools? Shame Vivi, shame.

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                              Haven't done the t-stat or the temp switch myself, was recommending the latter out of caution.

I idle a lot in SF traffic these days. Fan kicks on when the temp gets high enough (halfway between 1/2 and 3/4), and back off in about 10 seconds. That happens about once per minute if I'm just sitting there with no airflow from motion.

Might as well test the same in your driveway before spending any more money.
                              Then I think I'll leave my tstat alone. With the e36 switch (which I got) hopefully it'll kick on sooner. I generally like my temps around half (my engine was always ~1mm before 1/2), and after going through all this shit because my car overheated (although it had nothing to do with fan function, and it definitely wouldn't have been this bad if it did), I'm gonna make damn well sure it stays cool from now on.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

If you want to be that safe from overheating, buy a proper spal fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X