This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
    Get a 600 cc bike as it's a great compromise between the starter Ninja's and the liter bikes. I've ridden liter bikes as well as the little 250s and hands down I like the flick ability of my 600. Ridden for over 20 years and there is one thing for sure you will crash at some point. Just depends on how long you ride. So with that in mind it's all about mitigating the effects of the impending crash. Both of the crashes that I have been through were with passengers on the rear. Passengers tend to make things unstable when they lean in the wrong direction or do something very stupid. Starting with an inexpensive motorcycle is also a great way to toss around a bike and understand the rider to cycle relationship. It's physics coupled with gyroscopic force with some balance and hand to eye coordination. An inexpensive bike gives one the option to drop or dismount without loosing thousands of dollars on fairing work . Frame sliders are also keen for this purpose. I used to ride before the helmet law in California and I miss open air cycling dearly. Have to go to the islands or Flar I Duh to quench my insatiable desire for that.

My .02
    While I agree, a 600cc is typically an i4 super sport. Something like a 620/650 like a monster or sv will be much more tame. Super sports are not good beginner bikes no matter how old or mature you are. Learn to ride well rather than learning to control the power.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

We are all thinking it, ill say it. Vivek, you have no room to put your input what is a good beginner bike. You have, what? 1 hour of riding under you belt and you've put down a bike already?

I know a handful of people who start on 600+ cc bikes and do great. It's more of self control, knowing how to ride, and common sense when it comes to riding. Yeah you have a fast bike under you, but its all about what you as a rider do with that power. If you abuse it you'll end up on the pavement, if you respect it and enjoy riding you will be fine.

Worry about staying safe on the streets, buying the right gear, and keeping away from asshole drivers, instead of how much power your bike has.

Comment

Headed to the south bay after I get some maintenance done.

kronus, pinged you on the bookface.
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Holla'd back achoo
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
            We are all thinking it, ill say it. Vivek, you have no room to put your input what is a good beginner bike. You have, what? 1 hour of riding under you belt and you've put down a bike already?

I know a handful of people who start on 600+ cc bikes and do great. It's more of self control, knowing how to ride, and common sense when it comes to riding. Yeah you have a fast bike under you, but its all about what you as a rider do with that power. If you abuse it you'll end up on the pavement, if you respect it and enjoy riding you will be fine.

Worry about staying safe on the streets, buying the right gear, and keeping away from asshole drivers, instead of how much power your bike has.
            Ehh. Learn from my bad decisions so Eric can make better ones. Also go on pretty much any motorcycle forum and pretty much no one will tell you to start on an i4 600.
            Last edited by Vivek; 04-19-2014, 12:06 PM.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

That's where the common sense part comes in. Older fellows usually have more of it. Eric knows better than to give a dude a ride on the back of his bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397934382160.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	7165179

Name that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                Headed to the south bay after I get some maintenance done.

kronus, pinged you on the bookface.
                Man, I mention I'm coming to the South Bay and nobody tells me there's a meet happening.

Stephen is cool. Other than that, fuck all y'all.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Who is Stephen?

Comment

The guy with the username Stephen.
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

Ahh bmwstephen

Forgot

Comment

THIS^^^^
                        Riders like myself with 20 plus years under there belt realize that its not the size of the bike that matter as much as excellent hand to eye coordination and the ability to balance well and interpret many factors such as tone of engine (gauging shift points both up and down) . Riding like other people are blind. Opening up all of ones senses and processing that information at hyperspeed.
                        A Duc Monster is a torque demon compared to my 600 cc crotch rockets. The powerband is quite different. While riding a good rider can gauge just where they are in the RPM range and know where that powerband is going to shine. Developing the understanding of where the powerband will be most responsive is quite important for avoidance situations among others.

Since many riders "end up" in the middle ground with 600 cc bikes after they have ridden for some time my suggestion is one that will determine if Eric has "got it" in terms of riding or not. Skills first , bike horsepower to weight ratio second. It will also save him from spending money on starter bikes and having to turn over a few to creep up to where he will undoubtedly land (approx 600 cc bikes) I made this progression many years ago and found it a pain in the ass to sell bike after bike.

I can just as easily jump on a 600 cc crotch rocket as a liter bike as the skills and muscle memory have already been developed.

Here's the rub. Dont use that muscle memory and it diminishes over time.

Dont fear the machine and instead give it the respect it demands or it will bite! One of my worst crashes was on a 50 cc Honda MB 5 leaned over into a corner while lane splitting (illegal and stupid - I was an idiot rider then 20 years or so ago) . So I got bit. Limped for 3-4 months and I got lucky. It could have been exponentially worse.
                        Last edited by e30vert; 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                          Ehh. Learn from my bad decisions so Eric can make better ones. Also go on pretty much any motorcycle forum and pretty much no one will tell you to start on an i4 600.
                          Thats where Motorcycle forums are of no help and its easy to understand how a noob rider such as youself (no offence intended) would make the mistake of taking everything on a Motorcycle forum as gospel. Guys on MC forums really dont want to be the guy that is called out with
                          "Remember how you told that noob to get a 600 cc bike and now he's dead"

Conversely, I dont pull my punch and accept that every rider - new , old, living or dead MUST accept or have accepted that the ultimate possibilty is death or dismemberment (with dismemberment being the worse possiblity)

If a rider does not accept that going in well then get the fuck off the bike. PERIOD!

Comment

Just arguing about this makes me want to go ride. Except my preference of riding is dirtbikes. I learned to clutch/ride on a 2 stroke. Man I miss my 125. The powerband is a hoot. The most important thing I have ever learned is to not try to control the bike. The machine will do what it wants, so loosen up, and go with the flow.

This only applies slightly to street riding of course as there is a lot more factors such as other drivers.

Comment

That's where the common sense part comes in. Older fellows usually have more of it. Eric knows better than to give a dude a ride on the back of his bike.

[ATTACH]83825[/ATTACH]

Name that movie.

HAHAHAAHAHA !

Cant name the movie , but I get the reference (2 dongs together)
                              I made the mistake of having a bitch rider on multiple occasions and that always ended up causing issues. I partially blame myself for
                              1. Accepting a rider as "bitch"
                              2. Not taking the time to properly explain rider dynamics and things like at speed corners or proper posture for travel and stops.

If you must (and I highly discourage all riders) have someone on the rear you want to have the most petite person possible. That way there body weight will not be as much of a factor as someone heavier. Small asian woman would be the second best choice to no bitch rider at all.

Comment

Just arguing about this makes me want to go ride. Except my preference of riding is dirtbikes. I learned to clutch/ride on a 2 stroke. Man I miss my 125. The powerband is a hoot. The most important thing I have ever learned is to not try to control the bike. The machine will do what it wants, so loosen up, and go with the flow.

This only applies slightly to street riding of course as there is a lot more factors such as other drivers.
                                Rode Quads at Pismo for years! 4 wheels on the sand is my preference . Less to try and muscle around and lots less wear and tear on the upper body - collar bone, clavicle , etc...

You are right on with the go with the flow aspect of becoming one with the machine! It is terribly hard to "muscle" the bike / quad then working with it. It takes a while for new riders to get to that point of less rigid riding positions and allow there body to somewhat relax because there is always that "healthy" fear. Go down a few times and you kinda know what to expect. Its always a wild ride.

I slid about the length of a football field on one of my go -downs with no helmet on (passenger had priority and before helmet law , you kids wont remember that -kinda like Cassette players :))

Stood up and walked away! Bike totaled , 600 Andrew Marc Leather jacket had a few patches of road rash as did my jeans , but all skin intact and small bump / lump on the rear of my noggin. I tucked in when I hit the pavement. Waterslide style FTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X