This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
    Hey all, I'm not too active on here since I moved to the city a bit ago, and was looking to get a touring and saw this guy down in LA: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...789629166.html

A friend in the area said that it's been for sale for a while, has anyone taken a look at it or know anything about it? Thanks for the hand, fellas, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the hand, I really appreciate it!
    i think drewdown has one he is trying to sell. hes in benicia

Comment

Hey all, I'm not too active on here since I moved to the city a bit ago, and was looking to get a touring and saw this guy down in LA: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...789629166.html

A friend in the area said that it's been for sale for a while, has anyone taken a look at it or know anything about it? Thanks for the hand, fellas, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the hand, I really appreciate it!
      That diesel touring looks pretty sweet. Try and snag it for $10k. Just don't buy the green mtech2 touring that's for sale in the bay area, it's a real mess.
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I haven't seen that one, but my LS3 E30 got assailed by a red light runner so I'm really just in need of a rust free shell to transplant into.
        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
        2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
        2010 Buell XB9SX
        2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
        1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
        1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
        1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
        2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Yes, this car has been for sale for a while. I almost bought it. The ad is misleading. Even though the car is registered in Maryland, it is not exempt for CA DMV. In order to register the car in CA, you will need to go to LA to a testing lab. You'll pay 5k or so, and wait 6 months for the test to happen in order for it to be CA legal.

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
            That diesel touring looks pretty sweet. Try and snag it for $10k. Just don't buy the green mtech2 touring that's for sale in the bay area, it's a real mess.
            what's the deal with the green one? It was so sweet before it got parted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev Run D View Post
              Yes, this car has been for sale for a while. I almost bought it. The ad is misleading. Even though the car is registered in Maryland, it is not exempt for CA DMV. In order to register the car in CA, you will need to go to LA to a testing lab. You'll pay 5k or so, and wait 6 months for the test to happen in order for it to be CA legal.
              I'm not from here, so forgive the stupid questions. If it is 25 years old isn't it exempt from....everything?
              Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
              2010 Buell XB9SX
              2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I'm not from here, so forgive the stupid questions. If it is 25 years old isn't it exempt from....everything?
                It has to be 1975 and older to be smog exempt

Comment

Originally posted by NATOBOT View Post
                  It used to be 25 years, and they stopped doing that in 2000 and just made it pre 1975.

Comment

Originally posted by NATOBOT View Post
                    And smog testing is that crazy, not just sniffers? With my LS3 swap would I have testing any different from the diesel?
                    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                    2010 Buell XB9SX
                    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

And smog testing is that crazy, not just sniffers? With my LS3 swap would I have testing any different from the diesel?
                      So you have an LS3 swap?

In order to smog your car, you need to take it to a BAR inspection station and have them look over your swap. It must be from a newer car (which the LS3 is), and it would have to have all the original emissions pieces. You might be able to get away with headers, but technically that's part of the emissions part.

Once they inspect it and make sure all your emissions stuff is in good working order and not missing, they will give you a plate/sticker that shows that your engine swap is legal.

Then, you can take it to a smog shop and get sniffed.

The difference with this e30 diesel is that they won't give you CA plates or allow for it to be registered until you pay 5k+ and wait 6 or so months to get it lab certified by the only lab in CA that does it, which is in LA. It's not that the e30 is a diesel, it's that it's a grey market car.

Given that it's a diesel, it might be more difficult because the engine was not sold in the e30 in the USA. The car I was looking at ultimately (same seller) was a m20 325i wagon and that's the info the lab gave me for the m20.

So the diesel is just as much work if not more.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the information!

I've got a 318is that we did a crate LS3 swap into. It got hit by a red light runner but mechanicals look good, so I am planning on copy/pasting into a donor.
                        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                        2010 Buell XB9SX
                        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

nice! try doing a search for BAR as you'll see some peoples experience here on r3v regarding getting their swaps BAR'ed.

Comment

Anyone wanna buy a 10/10 i lip? Not BNIB, but sure looks like it

Comment

I do! :P

edit: I sold it to him. How's the rest of the trim working out?

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by Rev Run D View Post
                                I do! :P

edit: I sold it to him. How's the rest of the trim working out?
                                Haha

That's true lol

Looks great; had Plastidip or something that looked gross when I shot it with my Trim paint. Spent the good part of 4 hours trying to scrape it all off. Came out great otherwise

The lip really came out really good as well with a quick sand and some Trim paint. I almost want to mount it myself for the heck of it

Comment

Working...
                                X