Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Bay Area Auto Cross Events For A Newb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Bay Area Auto Cross Events For A Newb?

Hey guys. I want to start driving in some autocross events this year in the Bay Area. Does anyone have any suggestions for events/locations that would be fun for a beginner?
    I have taken the BMWCCA drivers class, so I am not a 100% greenhorn when it comes to car control. I look forward to doing a lot of learning.
    Im not sure what class my car would be in ether. Its not oem anymore.
    -Mostly stripped interior (mostly because of water problems :( )
    -Condor suspension and drive train bushings
    -Catuned coil overs
    -IE 25mm sway bars
    -rear camber/toe adjustment
    -front camber plates
    -373 LSD
    -z3 non powered rack
    -TRM 15x8 C1 with Dunlop Direzza ZII tires
    Everything ells is stock.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

This website is for sale! norcalufo.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, norcalufo.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Good group to run with, very laid back and easygoing. This will be the last year they run however. The venue is being lost.

If you are looking for some seat time, check out the autoX school/test and tune that I help run. I think we are going to do 4 of them this year. Here is the info for the first one.

Greetings Autocross Drivers,

As a reminder, your first opportunity in 2014 to get your car around some cones is March 8th/9th at Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway! Come out and scrub some tires!

The Format - This will be our typical Autocross program with a course set-up in the back paddock AND a skid pad set-up at the Turn #7 paddock/parking area.

Course Time - Because we limit the number of entrants at this event we're able to provide each of you a very large amount of time on course. Hours vs. minutes!

The Team - Trekkor Wills and his team will be running this activity so if you have any specific questions about the format, etc. please contact Trekkor directly at: trekkor@willstile.com Trekkor will also be sending out additional event details for the Autocross the week before the event.

Event Registration - is open now on the www.trackmasters-racing.com website and the cost is $75 for the day and we will have the opportunity to cancel and refund fees if significant rain is predicted 48 hours before the event.

Come out and get the rust off your cars and yourself this next month!

Thanks and have a great week!

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

SCCA has an event at the Oakland coliseum this Sunday. UFO typically runs really tight courses that could be fun in an e30 or a 2002 but they run in Marina which is further away. American Autox (AAS) runs a series in Marina as well, they tend to have nice fun/fast courses that I would personally prefer over most UFO courses, but maybe you should check out a few events for yourself and figure out what you like the most.

Bring cash. SCCA is $50 for non-members, I think UFO and AAS are both $40. There is generally some communal painters tape to make some numbers but if you're smart you'll bring your own. (I was never smart) Bring a helmet if you have one, otherwise they have them in the trailer.

The thing about autox is there is very little seat time for the total time commitment, especially if you are driving down to marina. The type of event that Will suggested is a great value if you want more seat time and not just to race for bragging rights; I'd consider attending if I were you.

Comment

As for the class, typically modded E30s run in DSP but things like stripped interior, PS or AC delete may bump you out of it. I know for the street tire classes you need AC and full interior, so you likely won't be in STX. You may be bumped into Street modified (like me) with some seriously quick cars. Honestly though, don't worry about it, just go have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
          http://www.norcalufo.org/main/

Good group to run with, very laid back and easygoing. This will be the last year they run however. The venue is being lost.

If you are looking for some seat time, check out the autoX school/test and tune that I help run. I think we are going to do 4 of them this year. Here is the info for the first one.

Greetings Autocross Drivers,

As a reminder, your first opportunity in 2014 to get your car around some cones is March 8th/9th at Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway! Come out and scrub some tires!

The Format - This will be our typical Autocross program with a course set-up in the back paddock AND a skid pad set-up at the Turn #7 paddock/parking area.

Course Time - Because we limit the number of entrants at this event we're able to provide each of you a very large amount of time on course. Hours vs. minutes!

The Team - Trekkor Wills and his team will be running this activity so if you have any specific questions about the format, etc. please contact Trekkor directly at: trekkor@willstile.com Trekkor will also be sending out additional event details for the Autocross the week before the event.

Event Registration - is open now on the www.trackmasters-racing.com website and the cost is $75 for the day and we will have the opportunity to cancel and refund fees if significant rain is predicted 48 hours before the event.

Come out and get the rust off your cars and yourself this next month!

Thanks and have a great week!

Will
          Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
          SCCA has an event at the Oakland coliseum this Sunday. UFO typically runs really tight courses that could be fun in an e30 or a 2002 but they run in Marina which is further away. American Autox (AAS) runs a series in Marina as well, they tend to have nice fun/fast courses that I would personally prefer over most UFO courses, but maybe you should check out a few events for yourself and figure out what you like the most.

Bring cash. SCCA is $50 for non-members, I think UFO and AAS are both $40. There is generally some communal painters tape to make some numbers but if you're smart you'll bring your own. (I was never smart) Bring a helmet if you have one, otherwise they have them in the trailer.

The thing about autox is there is very little seat time for the total time commitment, especially if you are driving down to marina. The type of event that Will suggested is a great value if you want more seat time and not just to race for bragging rights; I'd consider attending if I were you.
          Thanks guys! Very helpful insight and info. Id like to take part in that event Will. Sounds like fun.
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Good Info! I live about 10 minutes from Marina. Hope to see you guys there if I get my car done soon

Dave

Comment

Steering rack is automatic DSP bump. Possibly SM, not sure if SP allows rack swaps.

Regarding interior, if you removed rear door cards, you're FP (or whichever Prep class E30s fit in, FP is E36). If just back seat, SM.

Adjustable bushings or weld on adjusters? Former are OK in DSP, latter are SM, possibly Preps if pickup points are changed from stock locations +/- minor tolerance.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by suruba View Post
                Good Info! I live about 10 minutes from Marina. Hope to see you guys there if I get my car done soon

Dave
                Come on out. We run a good race. We try to keep the standing around to a minimum

Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Now I need a helmet. Leaning towards the Pyrotect Open Face Helmet SA2010. Also grabbed a auto/marine fire extinguisher just for safeties sake.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                    Now I need a helmet. Leaning towards the Pyrotect Open Face Helmet SA2010. Also grabbed a auto/marine fire extinguisher just for safeties sake.
                    That should work nicely.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                    X