Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in Norcal well versed in E30 suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in Norcal well versed in E30 suspension?

Doing a suspension replacement on my E30 cabriolet (automatic) with new control arms and offset CA bushings.
    Stuck in two places...
    1) Can't get the passenger side inner ball joint nut (22mm). Tried every combination of wrenches I have. There's like no clearance.
    2) Got the driver side control arm off. Without special tools, how do you get the control arm bushing out of the lollipop, and then I imagine I'm going to have to press in the new offset bushings.

Advice, sympathy?
    1988 325iC SOLD
    1985 524td 49k

Finally got the inner ball joint nut off - a short 22mm would really help here but you need the leverage to get it loose. How I am going to reinstall and torque properly is beyond me.

On #2, I realized that I could burn off the old bushing to get the lollipop off, then I can collapse the outer ring to remove the bushing (haven't gotten to that yet). I assume I can use a bench vise to carefully press in the new offset bushings into the lollipop? Then I have to get the lollipop back onto the control arm.

I have a feeling I'll have to be visiting a shop come Monday with a handful of parts to have pressed in...
    1988 325iC SOLD
    1985 524td 49k

Comment

You can do it yourself so long as guy have a vice.

You'll need a large socket that is a hair smaller than the bushing in order to press the old bushing out, then you will need a piece of pipe or an even larger socket on the other side of the lollipop are for the bushing to push through I'm to.

I hope that makes sense.

As for the tie rod nut, you can use a Jack under the balljoint to provide enough pressure on the tappered shaft to hold it while you tighten.

Taylor
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

You can press the old bushing out using the new bushing. I've done this a few times and it works well.

There are a few DIYs out there for getting the lollipop back onto the arm, with some instruction for making tools, but honestly going to a place with a press is simplest, they can knock this work out in about 10 minutes.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Removed old bushings by sawzalling a single cut in the metal of the bushing, it came right out with the vibration of the saw.

Using dish soap and a bench vise, then with a 2x4 and a hammer, got one bushing 90% in (it would work but I want to center it in the lollipop) the other is only about 10% in. Will try to find a repair or machine shop today with a press. Any suggestions around Concord/Walnut Creek?
          1988 325iC SOLD
          1985 524td 49k

Comment

Call around (wheel works, firestone) or machine shops.

I used a 80 ton capacity large machine shop press; needed about 15tons of force to install the front whiteline into lollypop for my dd. Any bushes with an interference press fit metal band will be a PITA

Definitely use a press; if easier......bring it to harbor freight and "test" the presses?
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Surprised no-one said this yet: buy some lollipops with some offset CABs already pressed in... I got the delrin ones from condor and I couldn't be happier. Believe they toss you a few bucks for your old ones too, not sure. Good luck with the project, though, whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
              /______\_o_/______\
              l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
              \ #___======___# /
              |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Yeah that helps when you buy them before the job :)
                I asked a buddy who has a local shop to press them in for me, picking them up tonight.
                If you're not using the special BMW glue, is it at all critical to get the control arms back on the ground within 30 minutes? I cant see getting both control arms, suspension and brakes on in 30 minutes.
                1988 325iC SOLD
                1985 524td 49k

Comment

Still can't get the completed bushings onto the arm.
                  I have no idea how you guys do this with the arm on the car without that special tool.
                  Will keep trying or find a press again.
                  1988 325iC SOLD
                  1985 524td 49k

Comment

Lubrication

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Ah, you mean take it to a shop ;)
                      1988 325iC SOLD
                      1985 524td 49k

Comment

Originally posted by danix View Post
                        Ah, you mean take it to a shop ;)
                        Yes time to take it to a shop and don't forget the lubrication.

The stock bushes are just angry.
                        Power flex will install into bracket and a arm with 0 tools.

The whiteline Fcab needed 12 tons of force to get into lollypop but easy to pop on a arm with arm power

Comment

I used the trunk jack with a strap around the bushing to act as a press. That and some dish soap, they both went on.

I have one remaining question. The new lower control arm comes with a washer on the inner ball joint. With the washer on, it can't press in, so it clearly doesn't go there.
                          Does it need to go in above, just below the locknut? I don't recall seeing an equivalent washer when I removed the old one, so I'm not sure. Can't hurt I suppose as long as there is enough clearance? There is no equivalent washer for the outer ball joint.
                          1988 325iC SOLD
                          1985 524td 49k

Comment

Working...
                          X