Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complying with CARB laws (Importing E30 Touring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complying with CARB laws (Importing E30 Touring)

What's up everyone, later this year i will be bringing my 88 320i Touring with me back to the US and wanted to know what the process is of complying with CARB laws as far as emissions go. The car will be 27 years old by the time it gets stateside but since my state of residence is in California i'd like to get the car registered there. Anyone know what the process is like? How much money exactly will this cost me to get it compliant. I'm not paying any shipping fees for the car so i only need to know what i need to change if any changes need to be made to be emissions compliant. Where am i taking it to to see if it will pass an emissions test if i can't even drive the car since i won't have a plate. The car will be in the So Cal area.

It's still eight months out until i get back but i'd like to know now what i'm in for so i'd like to do some homework while i have the time. If anyone has any input i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

M20B20 was never used in a CA-spec car - I think you're going to run into trouble with that. The ref is going to want to see an M20B25 or M42B18 in there, or some other swap done to CARB compliance.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

does the car have a catalyst? You'll at least need the same emissions equipment as an 88 M20 powered e30 in US trim, fuel vapor recovery, check engine light, 'unleaded fuel' decals etc.
      And of course the car will have to pass tail pipe emissions. Generally, if you can show the engine 'family' is essentially the same as a California spec car, and the required emission control systems are in place, and the car passes the tailpipe and vapor recovery tests, i think you should get approved.

if all else fails, shops get m/s 50 swaps carb approved, so you could always follow that path

Comment

You have to do more than just emissions. You can't get it bar'd until it gets inspected by a ref and you pay around $7k for inspection since it's a grey market vehicle. Talk to yert315, he is currently dealing with this now. He even swapped in an M20. Cali is the hardest state to import vehicles in the US.

Comment

Go ahead and swap in an M20 or M42 from a Californian Junkyard car and you'll be fine.

Talk to Constantine on here.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Be ready to pay. Also, bring some lube for the rape California is about to give you.

They are really cracking down on grey market cars now. You will need to go to a CARB lab and pay a minimum of $7k for them to approve the car to CA emissions standards, regardless of the engine you have in it.

I have been battling CA for 6 months now. If you are willing, be prepared to pay the $7k and have them keep the car for 6-8 weeks.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Don't listen to anyone who "heard my buddy do it". It's a giant pain in the ass.

Comment

I've never heard of this $7k charge before.
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
              X