School me on an e24 M635csi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on an e24 M635csi

I have leads on a e24 M635csi that needs lots of loving. Just unsure if it's worth for me to restore or not? Supposedly it was imported from germany? Is it legal to register in california?

any m635csi will have been imported; they have never been sold in the US by BMW dealers. Only M6 were officially sold.

it was either imported via the grey market that was active in the 80s and early 90s, or individually after that. If it was grey market imported to CA, it will have a federalization sticker and an old school CARB sticker, and maybe some ugly ass side markers. It will also be registrable in CA without much issue as long as it passes smog.

If it was imported individually, who knows. See what the paperwork says.

You should take a look at it, at least. They're lovely GT cars. They have cowl and wheel arch rust issues especially if they've been sitting, and the motors are not cheap to keep running, but they are epic and worth lots when restored.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      any m635csi will have been imported; they have never been sold in the US by BMW dealers. Only M6 were officially sold.

it was either imported via the grey market that was active in the 80s and early 90s, or individually after that. If it was grey market imported to CA, it will have a federalization sticker and an old school CARB sticker, and maybe some ugly ass side markers. It will also be registrable in CA without much issue as long as it passes smog.

If it was imported individually, who knows. See what the paperwork says.

You should take a look at it, at least. They're lovely GT cars. They have cowl and wheel arch rust issues especially if they've been sitting, and the motors are not cheap to keep running, but they are epic and worth lots when restored.
      I appreciate the quick reply. That's what I'm afraid of on the motor part...
      The owner claims he "lost" the title. The car has Cali plates and had stickers in 2013...

Comment

then it's CA legal, they'll be able to pull it out of the system, and you can apply for a lost title. maybe you'll even be able to weasel out of back reg.

what's up with the motor? (I'm familiar with them from cleaning up my old M5)
        cars beep boop

Comment

also, grab the VIN and get a carfax/autocheck, you'll be able to see its registration status.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I don't know what is up with the motor. Just the fact that it hasn't been started in years. I'm afraid to fire it up with the old fuel in the tank. I'll have to grab the VIN this comingg weekend and run it. I'm excited as I love e24's but I've always been into the the 3 series era's.

Did the M635csi come with the M6 motor in them?

Comment

nope, they came with an M88. It's similar to (it is an earlier version of) the S38B35 but has a single row timing chain and some related casting differences in the head. People upgrade them to dual row timing chains for some extra high-RPM protection, but apparently it's a fucker to fit everything in there.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Hmm maybe I'm in over my head thinking I could restore the e24.

Comment

This vid can be somewhat helpful but YMMV
                  restored my 1985 635csi with my Dad. After all the countless hours and suspension modifications, was it worth doing??
                  » PARTS FOR SALE
                  » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                    This vid can be somewhat helpful but YMMV
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_uExv_qT9Y
                    Def an inspiration for me! I'll have to check the car out in person in a couple weeks since I'm headed to dockdweiler most likely this coming weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X