s50 project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 project is back on

Found the reason the timing cover wouldn't come out and the head be stuck on: there are 3 bolts to remove that hold the head to the timing cover. I only removed 2. Cover is now in my trunk to be examined tomorrow at work.
    Last edited by e30_325es; 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

hurrah! get that head off as well?
    e30s r kool

Comment

So wait, why you ripping the head off? Thought you almost had it running?

Comment

i lol'd

massive leak at the timing chain cover was the reason it had to be pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpirate View Post
          i lol'd

massive leak at the timing chain cover was the reason it had to be pulled.
          Yeah they have a tendency to do that if everything isnt perfectly tight. My dad and I did the headgasket on my e36 m3 and we finished it all up and after the car would run awhile, oil would pool out from behind the timing cover.

Comment

Glad to hear that it's back on!!

Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
            there are 3 bolts to remove that hold the head to the timing cover. I only removed 3.
            Something's wrong with your math.....
            stephenbrody.com

Comment

Idk what you are talking about brody. It clearly states "I only removed 2." I think you modified my quote....

Yeah Mike, I was a day away from having it running and the timing cover poured out oil almost as fast as I put it in. At this point though I don't think I had to pull the head (I only loosened it anyway), but I had to pull the intake cam back out to get to the timing cover bolts. Hopefully I'll put it most of the way back together this sunday and possibly get it running next week. That is as long as everything else goes well, which it prolly won't.

Oh, and you better believe I'm going to rtv every gasket surface on that cover. Bitch will never leak again.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Yo, you should call me lol. I had the EXACT same problem. Best solution is to machine the block/timing cover together but thats not always possible. RTV didn't work enough for me and I had to do it again. I got this gasket stuff called "The right stuff" and it sealed everything up perfect. Also remember to do it where that cover meets the oil pan too. Mine was shifted down a bit so it leaked out the front of the cover up top and the back of the block where it met the oil pan.

PITA I tells ya.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                  Yo, you should call me lol. I had the EXACT same problem. Best solution is to machine the block/timing cover together but thats not always possible. RTV didn't work enough for me and I had to do it again. I got this gasket stuff called "The right stuff" and it sealed everything up perfect. Also remember to do it where that cover meets the oil pan too. Mine was shifted down a bit so it leaked out the front of the cover up top and the back of the block where it met the oil pan.

PITA I tells ya.
                  I do what he says...

Comment

You had to remove the cam to get the cover bolts out? Your referring to the torx bolts from the top I assume.

Those timing covers suck sometimes. Mine seeps a tiny bit with new gaskets and silicone on both sides but I had to take mine off like 5 minutes after I put it on because I forgot to install one of my chain guides.

Get this car running already esp. for chapterfest. I think mine gets better the more miles it gets on it.
                    Old and improved:

Comment

I didn't see the middle bolt for the timing cover through the head. Finally found it and took it all apart. In retrospect all I would have had to remove was the exhaust cam gear. I also found the source of the problem. The pass. side cover gasket wasn't lined up properly, so it was a metal to metal seal (if that). Replaced them both, motorcraft rtv'd them, and bolted everything back up. I will be putting the cam back in tonight and possibly attempt to start it too.

Comment

I didn't see the middle bolt for the timing cover through the head. Finally found it and took it all apart. In retrospect all I would have had to remove was the exhaust cam gear. I also found the source of the problem. The pass. side cover gasket wasn't lined up properly, so it was a metal to metal seal (if that). Replaced them both, motorcraft rtv'd them, and bolted everything back up. I will be putting the cam back in tonight and possibly attempt to start it too.
                        Im glad you figured it out. GL! Ill have to make sure to seal the hell out of mine on both my engines.

Comment

Leak free now! 5 quarts in and dry as a bone! Update would be that it cranks but doesn't start, which doesn't surprise me with the silver 413 ecu. Waiting on a red label one. Headers with studs are a royal pita to bolt up. My painless rad fan relay is dead already (bought new for this project). Gauges (oil pressure and temp) will work once I wire power to them, just need a couple connectors for them. I'm waiting for it to start and run before I hook up the cooling system, just in case. It's good progress.

Viet, you have akg motor mounts right? Were they identical or was one straight and the other angled? Both of mine are angled, but only the pass. side one mounts perfect. The driver's has a gap no matter which way I mount it.

Comment

Leak free now! 5 quarts in and dry as a bone! Update would be that it cranks but doesn't start, which doesn't surprise me with the silver 413 ecu. Waiting on a red label one. Headers with studs are a royal pita to bolt up. My painless rad fan relay is dead already (bought new for this project). Gauges (oil pressure and temp) will work once I wire power to them, just need a couple connectors for them. I'm waiting for it to start and run before I hook up the cooling system, just in case. It's good progress.

Viet, you have akg motor mounts right? Were they identical or was one straight and the other angled? Both of mine are angled, but only the pass. side one mounts perfect. The driver's has a gap no matter which way I mount it.

Keep pluggin away dude. Just got mine started this weekend. Just have to bleed the brakes and redo the alignment to make it driveable. Then it's exhaust shop and real alignment and done. Can't wait.

End up using that tranny you got off of me?

Comment

Good to hear mike! Yes, I used that trans. You kept the 260 right?

Comment

Working...
                              X