whats up fellas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats up fellas.

I was out last night and when backing out of a 7/11 the shifter just went all sloppy and wont find any gear. I'm guessing the linkage snapped.

(i was dogging it a bit before hand and did a burnout, probably 2 minutes before stopping and shutting the car off at 7/11)

Question is, what's the easiest way to find out what exactly broke and replace it? I had it towed back to my house and i'm doing this out front my house on the street.

anybody trying to come give me a hand?
    thanks

-nick

damn im headed out of town in a few hours so cant really come help...but the linkage is pretty simple under there..your gonna have to jack it up obviously and get some stands set up so you can safely crawl under there and have a peak at the linkage...its all pretty much directly under the shifter and about 10 inches from there up to the front of the car. the exhaust and driveshaft are in the way, obviously.. but you should be able to get to it if you have your car high enough and have enough room to wiggle under there..hope that helps if all else fails i may be able to help you out next week sometime
    e30s r kool

Comment

Originally posted by vivalegreg View Post
      damn im headed out of town in a few hours so cant really come help...but the linkage is pretty simple under there..your gonna have to jack it up obviously and get some stands set up so you can safely crawl under there and have a peak at the linkage...its all pretty much directly under the shifter and about 10 inches from there up to the front of the car. the exhaust and driveshaft are in the way, obviously.. but you should be able to get to it if you have your car high enough and have enough room to wiggle under there..hope that helps if all else fails i may be able to help you out next week sometime
      thanks bro i'm gonna check it out on tuesday after work.

Comment

make sure to take a good look down there. either the linkage broke, or it yanked out of the bushing in the rear. Either way it would be disconnected. or broken.

Comment

I'm up to helping you man. I'm close by too. Just let me know.
          sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
          Build Thread:
          Current ongoing build. Check it out!
          1991 318is 4dr rallycross
          Rallycross Build Thread.
          1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

burnout is bad for you and this proof it.. :)
            Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

but...but i love burnouts :(
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ubernasty View Post
                thanks bro i'm gonna check it out on tuesday after work.
                update?
                e30s r kool

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
                  you totaled your car in .5" of snow bro... i would have bought those wheels as a set too... lol

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                  The burnout wasn't the problem, or maybe it was, idk. power adders probably tho.

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                  me too hah

update?
                  Just broke the straight selector rod, i'm guessing the first of many problems comming.

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
                    you totaled your car in .5" of snow bro... i would have bought those wheels as a set too... lol

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                    The burnout wasn't the problem, or maybe it was, idk. power adders probably tho.

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                    me too hah

update?
                    Just broke the straight selector rod, i'm guessing the first of many problems comming.

Comment

Yeah, I didnt really total my car cause of the accident. I was just an idiot. But yeah, i'll help you if your up to it. I've been doing lots of work to my car. Just said I might as well do lots of stuff while i'm up to it. Guess i'm just an idiot 17 year old, you live and you learn.
                      sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
                      Build Thread:
                      Current ongoing build. Check it out!
                      1991 318is 4dr rallycross
                      Rallycross Build Thread.
                      1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

sounds like what happened when i grenaded the trans.. like said, check the shift linkage, check the guibo and driveshaft and check the rear... but i would say if your shift linkage is fine you messed up something internal in the trans.

if you have the cash for fluids etc just pull the cover off the diff and inspect. before doing so make sure the fill bolt comes off the cover.

Comment

Working...
                        X