Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NoVa HELP - So it's not a HG afterall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoVa HELP - So it's not a HG afterall...

Hey guys does anyone know where a good place to get a Cylinder Head from a '85 M20 ETA motor cleaned/tested/replaced?

In the middle of a what I thought was a HG job and the HG was in perfect condition...so now i'm stumped. Each cylinder has traces of coolant in it. The oil has coolant cum in it. The valves have water deposits on them...WTF

Also, what is the pipe with the spring on it? And this little sleeve guy was in cylinder 4 when I took the head off, it looks like a sleeve for a cylinder head bolt but does anyone know what exactly it is?

Thoughts?

Bump

Water is in every chamber and I'm wondering what makes water/coolant get into the chambers if it isn't the head/HG/Block being cracked...HELP please!

Comment

We need pictures of the head and the little sleeve you're talking about. A pic of water in the chamber doesn't do us any good.

If the HG wasn't blown then look for cracks around the journals, also look for leaking in any of the hoses connected to the head and intake.
      stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
        We need pictures of the head and the little sleeve you're talking about. A pic of water in the chamber doesn't do us any good.

The sleeves he's referring to are the dowels that orient the head properly to the block.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Well on the link I attached there are pics of the head and the tiny sleeve. The two dowels that align the head are still in the block and are bigger than the sleeve thing I took a pic of...it fits nice into a head bolt hole...

If the block is not cracked and I find the head not cracked then wtf can make water go into the chambers...the block looks pretty solid, as does the head

although I need to know of any good shops in the area that will look at this cylinder head and check it...if anyone knows that would be awesome!

Comment

Tell doug yoshi sent you.

The water in your cylinders is more than likely a result of the coolant still being in the head when you took it off. Pouring out when you finally removed the head.

I'm still gonna guess HG as the coolant to the inner chamber is known to go without any real signs. Can you post higher res pictures of the head gasket on both sides?

Have doug do the head/pressure test and have him deck it. Clean the block with a razor and clean out all the head bolt holes so that there is NOTHING in them. Water/fluids don't compress and you'll crack the block.

Comment

Perfect, thanks Shiboujin!

Well the water I referring to was the white smoke coming out of tailpipe and the gnarly water deposits on my valves (intake) haha. This engine was not ran well before I got it

I still need to figure out what this little sleeve thing is that is posted in my flickr link. The dowels for alignment (2?) are already in the block and are bigger than this thing...ugh

Comment

Edit: From looking at the other pics, my guess is still the headgasket. by now it's probably in pieces from removal, but get the head checked just to be sure.

Edit 2: I fail, I'm done giving advice for a while...
                Last edited by TexasTerp; 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM.
                stephenbrody.com

Comment

The tube with the spring is kindly referred to as the "bitch tube". It basically provides support tension to the intake so that it doesn't break off the stud bolts that connect it to the head. It prevents the intake from moving and flexing violently during driving.
                  Haha what?! :rofl:

That is BMW's version of a PCV system.

Comment

The tube with the spring is kindly referred to as the "bitch tube". It basically provides support tension to the intake so that it doesn't break off the stud bolts that connect it to the head. It prevents the intake from moving and flexing violently during driving.
                    Dude... where did you hear that? Slap them in the face. Hard.

The bitch tube is simply the most major drain of oil out of the head. IMO it's a terrible design. The bolts that hold the intake to the head should not flex enough to need any support.

It's not a PCV system either. That's what the hose from the VC to the TB is.

Who tells people this crap?

Comment

I'm just going to quit posting, I'm clearly just off my rocker lately. maybe if I can lighten my work load I might be able to put out some correct info and think before I type.

All-in-all this clearly is just the start of a shitty week... I'm not allowing myself to give advice till I have less on my plate, I can't think straight.
                      stephenbrody.com

Comment

nice input fellas, I am going to park it for a few days on this.

How difficult is taking the cams out and putting it back together?

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                          The bitch tube is simply the most major drain of oil out of the head.
                          It's not a PCV system either.
                          That's what the hose from the VC to the TB is.
                          Who tells people this crap?

Uh what??
                          That is most definitely the M20's PCV system.
                          Let me break it down for you since you have a grasp on nothing besides you wiener.
                          The tube "vents" the "positive" "crankcase" gases up into the intake to be burned again.
                          It works in unison with the Vc vent that also leads to the intake.
                          Making the tube and the vc vent hose part of BMW's PCV system.

Comment

With that logic, every engine would have one. While it probably helps PCV, it's main function is an oil drain from the head. I've heard people say it's PCV but with the reasoning you mentioned, any internal part of the engine is part of the PCV system simply by having a cavity and being part of the inner engine. You make it sound like the top end of the engine is sealed off from the bottom of the engine.

Bicker back if you want, but don't bother without actual proof please. I will eat my words if you can prove it.

Comment

Bump

Anyone know what the little sleeve thing is??? It is not one of the 2 head guides for alignment I can assure you. Is it necessary? It was in cylinder 4 when I removed the head but I'm positive it was connected or in "its" place when the head was connected

hey thanks for the input guys!

~Disco Benny

Comment

Working...
                              X