§ 46.2-1079. Radar detector Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detector Ban

Why are we the only state that still has this stupid law?

Email your Representatives and tell them to get rid of this!!!

Virginia General Assembly Legislator lookup:

Originally posted by bostonbmw View Post
    Why are we the only state that still has this stupid law?

Email your Representatives and tell them to get rid of this!!!

Virginia General Assembly Legislator lookup:
    http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform
    meh, I'd prefer my representatives spend their time and effort to figure out how to get the economy moving again, or get some of these highway projects finished. The radar detector issue is a non-starter in Va. because the state and county police forces will oppose any change, and they are a very influential power bloc in elections (what candidate wants to be "opposed by the Police unions"?) None. Same for the tint laws....They try to change these every year, and it doesn't even make it out of committee.....

Democrats usually support these laws anyhow (big brother state). Republicans normally might be against it, but speeding tickets provide alot of highway and general fund money for the state and counties. And in this day of shrinking budgets, the GOP isn't going to get rid of that income when then they'd have to find it someplace else (like raising taxes or cutting pet programs).

(disclaimer: I worked in politics for several years, this is how it works).

No radar detector here, and I drive a modded WRX, and I drive fast. And I haven't been so much as pulled over in almost a decade. And I live in Fairfax County!

Radar detectors just give you a false sense of security anyhow. I work in MD and always hear co-workers bitching about tickets....and they all have detectors (which are legal in MD, where they live). The best defense against tickets is to pay attention and know how to not be noticed in traffic.

Not saying I like the law (I don't). But fighting it is a lost cause, since a very small minority of state residents care....
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I stopped speeding. From what I heard, when living in PA, having a detector, and getting pulled over got you less of a brake, if any.

One less thing for me to worry about.
      Last edited by slammin.e28; 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

did you get nailed for having a detector, hence posting same frustration on multiple internet forums.....?
        Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
        marshall
        75 M2
        87 325
        97 m3
        02 325it

Comment

No, I wanted to see what two different groups thought about the matter. Do you have something to add?

Comment

every car forum thinks the same on all car-related matters. Everyone on all of them wants:

- no emissions tests
            - no safety inspection
            - no tint laws
            - no exhaust laws
            - radar detectors legal

and 20 other things that are never going to happen.....
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I'm happy with no emissions and knowing people who inspect cars so I can pretty much do what I want as long as the lights work and the car is tight.

Must suck to live in Nova and know that just an hour south there is no emission testing. :p

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                I'm happy with no emissions and knowing people who inspect cars so I can pretty much do what I want as long as the lights work and the car is tight.

Must suck to live in Nova and know that just an hour south there is no emission testing. :p
                meh, I have vintage tags on my e30 and my GT6, so I don't have to get emissions or safety. or pay registration renewal fees :0

my other 2 cars don't have any problem passing inspection/emissions.

I'll suffer the emissions inspection to live in Fairfax with all of the upside to this county. I can handle it every 2 years, not a big deal.
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

meh, dont matter much when you are an inspector :twisted:

Comment

I have no cats on my e46 (headers). I blow out a little puff of soot every time I shift when I beat'er around the twisties.

No cats on the e28 either, and a B35 with headers.

Cats are coming off the M3 soon too. Not because I'm a badass who likes to pollute, but because cats are free $$ and I take them to the scrapper.

They'll never enact emissions testing in my area. People are too anti government here and won't test.

Comment

No its because it would cost a fortune to train rednecks how to test for emissions.

Its pretty easy to teach them about checking turn signals.
                      1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                        No its because it would cost a fortune to train rednecks how to test for emissions.

Its pretty easy to teach them about checking turn signals.
                        ...and this plays in my favor.

Comment

...and this plays in my favor.
                          as well as mine goodsir.
                          1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Working...
                          X