I need to borrow an M50 flywheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to borrow an M50 flywheel.

I need to borrow an M50 flywheel. I would only need it for a few days. Condition does not matter as I just need it for engine timing purposes. Stupid lightweight flywheel doesn't have a crank lock hole.

Why not just put something down inside the cylinder and put it to TDC that way?
    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
    Build Thread:
    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
    Rallycross Build Thread.
    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
      Why not just put something down inside the cylinder and put it to TDC that way?
      My OCD won't allow that.

Comment

You have the tool to lock the cams?

When I did my M3's vanos, I just got it to TDC and locked the cams. My FW didn't have the hole either (PO swapped it from auto > manual.)
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
          You have the tool to lock the cams?

When I did my M3's vanos, I just got it to TDC and locked the cams. My FW didn't have the hole either (PO swapped it from auto > manual.)
          Yeah I've got the cam blocks but I have never felt comfortable timing these without the crank pin. I'll do it with the TDC mark if I can't find one.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
            Yeah I've got the cam blocks but I have never felt comfortable timing these without the crank pin. I'll do it with the TDC mark if I can't find one.
            True. I'm guessing the engine is on a stand?
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
              True. I'm guessing the engine is on a stand?
              Yeah and the lightweight flywheel doesn't have a hole in it. I threw a dual mass away a few weeks ago like a douche.

Comment

hey man .. you will be fine... if the motor is on the stand you are fine.. you can see the timing marks fine.. lock the cams and good to go. This is how i did my motor.. hell even the new built one was timed that way.

E30 Turbo 2.8L - 60ft - 1.70 :: 1/8th - 6.99 :: MPH - 105.47 :: 1/4 - 10.66 :: MPH - 132.53
                *RIP* E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.944 :: 1/8th - 8.64 :: MPH - 80.00 :: 1/4 - 13.55 :: MPH - 99.95

Comment

Found one thanks to Levent and Shane Snyder. Great guys to deal with!

Comment

Working...
                  X