Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS/FT/WTB: Small case 4.10 LSD (trade + our $$$ for med case LSD, 3.25 through 4.10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS/FT/WTB: Small case 4.10 LSD (trade + our $$$ for med case LSD, 3.25 through 4.10)

Edit: Apparently, my co-driver sold this locally. Still looking for a replacement- 3.25 through 3.73 LSD.

My car co-owner bought this not knowing that there were small and med case LSDs, and I don't feel like dropping the exhaust to extend the yoke to run it.

We bought it all dirtified and cleaned the hell out of it. Sounds smooth when turned but we never ran it so all that we know is what we saw and were told.

I had the diff out in WV for a couple of weeks but we moved it to Fairfax to make a local pickup/exchange more simple. It can be picked up pretty much any time.

Given what we paid and the work to clean it up, looking for $100 cash or a trade + cash for a medium case LSD with a ratio between 3.25 and 4.10. We'll take a 3.25, 3.46, 3.91, 3.73, 4.10...whatever...

Will add pics here later today or tonight.
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM.
    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    My car co-owner bought this not knowing that there were small and med case LSDs, and I don't feel like dropping the exhaust to extend the yoke to run it.
    no such thing is required. direct swap

Comment

Originally posted by ACS Cabrio View Post
      no such thing is required. direct swap
      You do have to extend the yoke.

If you draw a line across the case along the axle axis and then take a 90* measurement to the flange of the input shaft, the small case is nearly 2" shorter than the meduim case, thus if you bolt the small case in the place of a meduim case the driveshaft does not reach the input shaft on the diff unless you extend the drivshaft by expanding the slip yoke.
      Patrick Henry

Comment

I put a small case 4:10 in my old 84 325e(direct swap) everything bolted in
        But when I drove the car it bound up when I turned. And exploded after about 20 minutes of driving.
        I had to push my car home by myself, I was to poor for a tow and I this was 10 years ago before 15 year olds had cell phones.

Moral of the story: don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

after a quick google with great success, I installed a 3.73 medium case in place of my 4.27 small case in my 318 convertible 5 years ago and havn't had one issue. still my daily driver

Comment

after a quick google with great success, I installed a 3.73 medium case in place of my 4.27 small case in my 318 convertible 5 years ago and havn't had one issue. still my daily driver
            Then your axles are at an irregular angle entering the diff.

Geometry does not lie.

Does not mean that it does not work...just that it isn't correct.
            Patrick Henry

Comment

PM sent
              sigpic
              BMW e30 318is
              BMW e30 318iC
              BMW e28 528is
              Range Rover HSE
              Ferrari F355 GTB

Comment

Originally posted by JUNGLISTluder View Post
                PM sent
                Email sent
                Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                  Then your axles are at an irregular angle entering the diff.

Geometry does not lie.

Does not mean that it does not work...just that it isn't correct.
                  The diff can only bolt to one position on the subframe, therefore the axles are in the same position regardless of driveshaft choice. unless you notch the diff mount tabs on the subframe for forward/backward movement, or space it down/use subframe risers for up/down movement in reguard to the axles.

i thought the topic in question was incorrect driveshaft/input shaft length.

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                  Any e30 diff will fit in another e30

Small case needs small case input shaft, and output shafts

Medium case needs medium case input shaft, and output shafts
                  Originally posted by e30_325es View Post
                  All of which "should" come with the differential.
                  Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  The input shafts are the same.
                  Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                  OK listen up :

The bigger (med) 6cyl E30 diff is a direct bolt-in replacement for the 4cyl small case differential .

No need to swap output flanges, covers or anything .
                  No modifications necessary other than getting the right ratio for your needs .

Comment

I do have a very clean 60k mile med s4.10 i wouldn't mind trading for your small case

Comment

Apparently, my co-driver sold this locally. Still looking for a replacement- 3.25 through 3.73 LSD.
                      Patrick Henry

Comment

I do have a very clean 60k mile med s4.10 i wouldn't mind trading for your small case
                        I would like to buy this!
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                        X