Gauging availibility - Meet/garage day - Charlotte, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging availibility - Meet/garage day - Charlotte, NC

After much troubleshooting and soul searching, it appears I can't avoid this any longer. In order to solve my leaking fuel problem, I'm going to have to replace my tank.

As I understand it, this is a rather involved job. Including dropping the driveshaft and exhaust system.

What I'm hoping is that a couple of you from the Carolina/Ga/Va area might be able to come by and give me a hand with this project. Any extra hands/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, I could provide accomodations/food/beverages (if needed) in exchange for your services.

If anyone is available, please let me know what date(s) and I'll try to get something organized.

thanks
    mike
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Past: lots of stuff
    Present: e46 m3
    2010 F150 Lariat
    1990 E30 Touring
    1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV
    2000 Odessey Millenia 210

lets do it this weekend after the Korman Open House
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I wish I could, but I've got other plans for Saturday.

Are you available the following weekend?
      2010 F150 Lariat
      1990 E30 Touring
      1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV

Comment

ummm...not sure. I'll have to check
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

So what's in it for me if I come help? :)

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by Intense
            Of course, I could provide accomodations/food/beverages (if needed) in exchange for your services.

Cant you read matt
            HDE30 <3

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
              So what's in it for me if I come help? :)
              my eternal gratitude, lifelong friendship, commitment that I'll come to W-S to help you when you need it, anything in my garage I don't need :woowoo:, a sense of community by helping out a fellow e30, I've got a 50: LCD RPTV and a massive collection of movies to keep you entertained......lol

good enough?
              2010 F150 Lariat
              1990 E30 Touring
              1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV

Comment

well lets make this happen for him guys. we have a nice little group of people around NC so we should be able to do it pretty quick. What kinda time frame are you looking at? Do you need this done asap or not in a big rush?

Comment

well, i don't know too much about all the mechanics and whatnot, but I can come help if Charlie comes, just depends on the weekend I guess
                  -1992 325i -
                  BavAuto Chip
                  Tokico Spring/Shocks
                  more to come later

Comment

Hmm... ok. Pick a date and I'll see what I can do.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer
                      well lets make this happen for him guys. we have a nice little group of people around NC so we should be able to do it pretty quick. What kinda time frame are you looking at? Do you need this done asap or not in a big rush?
                      Well, it only leaks (like a rainforest) when I fill up the tank. On the left side of the car. I've recently been made aware of a secondary fuel level sender on the left side of the tank. So I'm hoping (praying) it's the sender or gasket that is faulty. In which case, the immediate problem of leaking fuel could be solved.

On the other hand, the tank is showing obvious signs of corrosion. So in the long term, it makes sense to just bite the bullet and swap out the tank.

My plan is to get a good look at the left side sender and the top of the tank tonight and see if 1) the tank is corroded and leaking (making me decision easy), 2) the gasket and/or sender itself is bad, thereby making the immediate repair quick, cheap, and easy.

I'll keep everyone update.

Regardless, I'm shooting for next weekend. April 8th/9th to perform this operation.

thanks
                      mike
                      2010 F150 Lariat
                      1990 E30 Touring
                      1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV

Comment

do you know if it has the same gas tank as an 87 325e? if so I have a spare.
                        HDE30 <3

Comment

Originally posted by Avus E30
                          do you know if it has the same gas tank as an 87 325e? if so I have a spare.
                          Unfortunately, I don't think that tank will work for me. According to this PDF: http://www.soulblighters.com/e30tech..._and_lines.pdf

But there's a place in Georgia that has a good used tank for $90. I didn't get a chance to look at my tank tonight, but I'll definitely be looking into that issue tomorrow night.

On the upside, with the help of a high speed cutter, I was able to get my lower control arms off (finally). Unfortunately, I had to sacrifice a toe rod end trying to get an axle out. Give and take I guess. Gotta go order some new tie rod ends now
                          2010 F150 Lariat
                          1990 E30 Touring
                          1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to keep you waiting.

I pulled the left side level sensor out last night and it looked like the o-ring might be a factor in my leaking fuel. Unfortunately, I disassembled most of my front suspension earlier in the week and broke several things in the process (CV boot and tie rod ends). I'm having some issues sourcing new parts at a reasonable cost.

So, at this point, I'm going to put this meet on hold until I can get my car back on the road and figure out for sure the gas tank needs to be replaced immediately. In the interim, I guess I'll go find the gasket for the fuel level sensor and see if that does the trick. Hopefully it does....

BTW, if you guys ever need any help with stuff, please don't hesitate to hit me up. I'm always up for a road-trip and I'm pretty handy with a wrench.....or hammer
                            2010 F150 Lariat
                            1990 E30 Touring
                            1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV

Comment

Working...
                            X