help me find a suitable seat or sell my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me find a suitable seat or sell my car

My nightmare is as follows. I own a 88 325 ic. Bought it off the second owner, have all records since new including window sticker showing original sticker price of over $30k. I have taken great care of this car, still has under 100k miles, new timing belt, water pump, all 90k mile service, new exhaust from catalytic converter on back, 4 new rims and tires, in dash cd player with ipod jack, have hard top with cloth storage bag and stand on wheels to keep it safe in the garage in its downtime, new soft top, new beige leather interior, too much to list. Doesn't leak anything.
    Here's the catch. Many years ago i was at a stop light, parked, in my then girlfriend's vw cabriolet. Someone decided to crash into the car behind me at about 40mph which pushed that car into me. My back has not been the same since.
    Fast forward to 8 years later. I own this BMW but the seat is a hunk of junk, bent, leaning toward one side. If i drive the car for more than 5 minutes I am in agony and have to go directly to the chiropractor. I bought a used seat off Ebay and had that installed, it seems i wound up with someone else's crooked seat. I got in touch with a guy in Florida who said he could rebuild the seat from the frame up. I mailed him the seat and after several phone calls back and forth never heard from him again, phone disconnected. I have an address but can't see it worth driving from DC to Florida just to kick someone's ass and get my broken down seat back. I'm too old for that. It would hurt me more than it would hurt him when you factor in the potential law suit and travel expenses.
    Next up i went to Autoy/Autowerke in Rockville, MD. The proprietor there, Dave Toy, agreed to help me purchase a Recaro sport seat and adapter to make it fit my BMW. That was about a $1500 investment altogether. When that seat was put in it was more uncomfortable than my old seat. I went back to Autoy/Autowerke and was told to go in the back and see the mechanic who had installed the seat to see if he could adjust it. The mechanic let slip that the seat wasn't really able to fit my car without being offset slightly. I realized that for most people that might work but not for me with my back that is as crooked as a politician.
    I asked Dave Toy if we could send my seat back and get a refund and I would try to get a brand new OEM seat. Dave Toy said Recaro would never agree to it because I allowed too much time to pass before expressing my complaints. I got on the phone with Recaro and got them to agree to accept the seat back if Dave Toy agreed that i was in a bad spot and my problems not being addressed. They also seemed open because my seat itself was coming apart at the back (see pics of back of black seat in my album). This seemed like a great solution, get me back to square one and i can start looking for a real solution. Alas, when Recaro customer service called Dave Toy, he told them there was no problem with the seat and the customer was just being unreasonable. All this came from a guy who despite my offer never sat in my car for more than a minute and never drove it or took it home with him over night despite my pleadings and offerings.
    So with that plan thwarted Dave Toy finally agreed to at least send the seat back to Recaro and get it repaired. We did that but I'm still stuck with a seat that cost me a great deal of money, doesn't fit my car properly, and i still need a seat. I have owned this car for three years and have yet to put 5k miles on it because of this situation.
    I think Dave Toy might be hardened by being in the business too long and seeing too many customers try to get over on him. I got this impression from my experience when I went to retrieve the Recaro seat after he took the Recaro seat out and sent it back to Recaro to be repaired. I asked him, where's my seat adapter. He looked right at me and said "we don't have that, we gave that back to you when we took the seat out. We don't keep those". He said that without checking, asking, thinking, almost like a natural reaction. He then walked into the shop area, asked the mechanic if he had my seat adapter, the mechanic said yes and it was returned to me at that time. I don't recall an apology.
    Since then i bought another used seat, had it reupholstered and cushioned and yet myself and others who have driven the car find it to be pretty uncomfortable.
    So, can anyone tell me how to get a new seat, a brand new seat made by BMW for this car specifically. If not, does anyone with a good back want to buy my beautiful car. If i cannot solve this problem ASAP i want to get rid of the car and just go get a new car that doesn't have this issue. There is nothing worse than having a car like this sitting in the driveway unused, especially on beautiful top down driving type days.

WALL OF TEXT. Please, put blank lines between your paragraphs.

First off, PM blunt about OEM parts.

Also, get in touch with some members near you and try to sit in the seats you're looking for before purchasing. Your chiropractor may be able to advise you on car seats that work, as well.

If you're looking for OEM comfort seats, there are plenty of people selling those off in almost-new condition, as well. From the sound of your injury, a sport seat will be too restrictive.

Seats you may want to try: e36 comfort seats, e36 sport seats, e36 M3 'Vaders'. From my experience, e36 seats are much more ergonomic than e30 seats and can be swapped in with the proper bracket.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Yea, check into some e36 seats.

Comment

Working...
      X